Follow-Through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2017
The green is the rear forearm and bat. The yellow is where they should be (roughly). She has lost half her leverage (power) at the start. This also means she must extend her arms more (less power) to get to bat head ahead of the hands at contact.

Pull the back elbow back like a bow as you stride forward. Don't let the rear forearm go vertical prematurely.

Thank you for that. In your opinion, where is she generating her power if she's leaving that much on the table? As you can see, she's not a very big girl. Also, do you see any difference in these angles in the game vs front toss videos?

I do not believe the OP is talking about extension here.. it's more about her swing stops after contact a little more sudden than most, know what I mean?

It is true that I was asking about her swing stopping, but definitely welcome any analysis anyone is willing to put the time into giving.

Oct 2, 2017
Apologies for resurrecting a 2+ year old thread, but the topic and girl in question are the same, just 2 years later. After analysis, her follow through problem only exists in games when she needs to run bases. I assume it's mental in that she feels like she needs to start running, so the swing is cut short, but haven't been able to break her of it. There are 2 videos below. The first is game footage. You will see that every follow through is short and low even though the balls are hit well. The second is a front toss session where she seems to take a full follow through. What I'm looking for is some analysis of the swings in the 2 videos (as best as can be done with the camera angle). Are they different, or is it the same swing that just isn't finished? We are at the beginning of the recruiting process with some D2 (which is her goal) and a lot of D3 Interest, so we are just trying to iron out any remaining kinks.

Maybe the follow through is a result of this position. Which doesn't allow her hands to get behind the ball and into a really strong position at contact? I know in another thread it was recently discussed what bat or what I would call elbow drag is. I think this would be a candidate.

extension.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1) where is she generating her power if she's leaving that much on the table?

2) Also, do you see any difference in these angles in the game vs front toss videos?

1) She coils in during the stride. Most girls dont do that.
2) They are the same, or worse.

Hold the coil inward (hips and shoulders), just a little longer, and pull the back elbow back as you go.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Don’t change a thing. The short abbreviated follow through is the body decelerating and delivering the head. A tucked elbow on an outside pitch will appear draggy, bc that’s what’s happening... you delay the release of the barrel on outside and off speed pitches. Her contact point is really good out there. She doesn’t guide her barrel to contact, she releases it. Someone taught her right! Her swing is effortless and the ball goes a long way. Kudos.

Mar 13, 2017
Don’t change a thing. The short abbreviated follow through is the body decelerating and delivering the head. A tucked elbow on an outside pitch will appear draggy, bc that’s what’s happening... you delay the release of the barrel on outside and off speed pitches. Her contact point is really good out there. She doesn’t guide her barrel to contact, she releases it. Someone taught her right! Her swing is effortless and the ball goes a long way. Kudos.
I’m all for leaving a swing alone when it’s producing but you don’t see a bit of bat drag? Also from this angle and the way she follows through I see her top hand rolling over into contact. @Trojans29 what kind of velocity does she face 50’s 60’s?

Apr 18, 2017
I’m all for leaving a swing alone when it’s producing but you don’t see a bit of bat drag? Also from this angle and the way she follows through I see her top hand rolling over into contact. @Trojans29 what kind of velocity does she face 50’s 60’s?

High school ball is hit or miss of course with speeds being anywhere from 50 to lower 60's. Travel ball is usually upper 50's to mid 60's on occasion. She's never really had trouble with speed. She'd definitely rather face lower 60's than lower 50's. She has had problems in the past with rolling her top hand early. That usually ends up being the issue if we see a sudden drop in power, so she has to remind herself to not do that. Good eye.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

The elbow slotting is essentially the barrel ‘getting on plane’ and ‘connection’ right? if it gets there a bit early and a delay needs to occur bc of a pitch location or speed and the elbow is a bit forward bc of that, that’s ok. The body is making an adjustment out front. Some guys will use the arms as a delayer or some will use the body drifting a bit more forward. Some will sit. Some use the hands like you said delaying the ‘roll’ of the hands. Some do a combination of all.

If the middle of the body turns while the barrel is still back, that to me is drag. Opening early dragging the barrel behind.

with the swing in question, this hitter sits a bit w hip flexion(delay) and catches it a bit out front while delaying the release of the barrel. speeding up the slower pitch essentially. Or speeding up the perceived speed to be on time and being able to drive the ball to CF.

May 12, 2016
There is most definitely arm bar in the swing IMO. But who argue with the results? You don't need a technically perfect swing to be successful. If you look at the front toss, she's got easy power, looks like she continue doing that all day long. I would be very cautious making any changes.. you said she's already got college interest, be very careful.

"IF" she starts hooking and rolling over on the ball a lot or has trouble with the low outside pitch, I would look into improving barrel path by working on her posture. It will help her stay through the ball a little better. She seems to be a little around the ball instead of through, but again I would be very cautious making changes at this stage

Apr 18, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely don't want to make any big changes for fear of making things worse, but am always open to little tweaks that could improve things. She's never been to a hitting coach, just a lot of us watching videos, using this site, and a whole lot of front toss to see what works and what doesn't. She prefers the ball to center (or maybe a touch right center), but can turn on a ball like in the first clip, and hits well opposite field like in the last hitting clip. That pitch was a low outside change-up that I was a little surprise she was able to put over the fence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles