Follow through on a fastball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
In my book teaching them to lead with the elbow is the same as teaching them IR. If you just let them go out there and pitch and let nature take it's course most them will be bowlers. However most pitchers that stick with it will end up with some form of IR but it will be minimal. Most pitchers that get to the point where they can throw at 50 mph will have their hand on the side of the ball at 9 o'clock and their hand behind the ball at release (IR).

This is an interesting question, how do elite pitchers develop IR if it's not taught? My theory is that when pitchers start to learn the curve and especially the rise they develop better IR. The crucial spot in the downswing is between 8 and 7 o'clock. Ordinary pitchers are rotating their arm at this point, they are surrendering to the impulse to push the ball, and losing the advantage that IR adds. In order to throw the curve or the rise the pitcher must pass through the 8-7 o'clock position with their elbow bent and the hand still on the side of ball. Even though they may not be putting the right spin on the ball by just trying to throw the curve or the rise pitchers are putting themselves in a better position to fully utilize or execute IR. This is why I am reconsidering my thoughts on the bulletspin fastball.

Practicing screw ball spin helps also....it makes them try to lead with elbow. I tell them to think about leading with the pinky finger when they can't get it.

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
Back when I was a LL coach in 7 years and out of 60-80 pitchers I saw only 2 girls who naturally employed IR. This was back before I knew exactly what IR was, I understood it intuitively. They were incredibly fast and a bit wild. All the other pitchers were bowlers with an add-on windmill startup. In my experience if you don't teach IR in some form the kids will just bowl it over. Not that teaching it is any guarantee that they will 'get it'.

This is a slightly frustrating point for my 10yo. It's her first year pitching; she is learning from a coach that believes strongly in having a solid mechanical foundation. Her results are not as good as a couple of other girls that are also first-year pitchers that employ the "bowling" style. My DD has heard the parents comments about how well the other girls are doing and wondered if she should be pitching like that. Proper mechanics is, IMO, absolutely a better long-term approach; however, it can be a tight rope act to maintain a good balance between short-term results and a long-term goal. Between parents and other players, the pressure for quick results can weigh heavily on a 10yo (especially in today's "microwave mentality" desire for results!) Fortunately, God has blessed us with a DD that is content to trust her coach that good things are ahead of her if she puts in the effort.

Nov 29, 2009
Fortunately, God has blessed us with a DD that is content to trust her coach that good things are ahead of her if she puts in the effort.

You are light years ahead of many 10U parents. Stay the course you're taking your daughter in the right direction. Where you'll see the biggest difference is the last year of 12's and into 14's. She will keep learning and improving while the others plateau because of poor mechanics.

Oct 22, 2009
You are light years ahead of many 10U parents. Stay the course you're taking your daughter in the right direction. Where you'll see the biggest difference is the last year of 12's and into 14's. She will keep learning and improving while the others plateau because of poor mechanics.

Yes you are, I go through the same things with my students.
Coaches want the leaner over tossers that get the ball over the plate. I've had parents leave me and go to other instructors where they are allowed to pitch this way.

I watched a 12u game the other day where a tosser was pitching the game, my pitcher who has the ability (she's a beginner right now) to be a decent pitcher was sitting the bench.

I explained to her parents that the sad part was, was that pitcher who had been tossing pitches for the last 4 years is going to eventually have to find another position to play, her dreams of being a great pitcher are never going to happen. On the other hand their daughter has to take her lumps spending a season on the bench but her time is coming.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Jojo
Totally agree.My daughter was not "allowed" to pitch her first year of 10u because parents/coach on her team just wanted someone to just "throw the ball over and let them hit it".My daughter continued to practice on her own the proper way with good mechanics.She returned the following year after practicing on the off season.She now was "allowed" to pitch even though still pitching the same way,with les walks and more strike outs.DD is now in 2nd year of 12u on travel team.Played last night won 13-1 DD had 13 k's.The girls that just threw it over with bad mechanics no longer pitching.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Mr T. try this experiment. Throw the ball overhand by getting your fingers behind the ball, snapping, and finishing straight down. you'll see this is not an effective way to throw overhand. Same thing throwing underhand for the same reasons.

Yeah I totally believed in this the moment I heard this argument on my BH pitching video. I am just asking for video to convince others I coach with. But I think I am sufficiently armed now.

Oct 22, 2009
Okay, let's revisit KARMA...
I had a new student last night.

Yes you are, I go through the same things with my students.
Coaches want the leaner over tossers that get the ball over the plate. I've had parents leave me and go to other instructors where they are allowed to pitch this way.

I watched a 12u game the other day where a tosser was pitching the game, my pitcher who has the ability (she's a beginner right now) to be a decent pitcher was sitting the bench.

I explained to her parents that the sad part was, was that pitcher who had been tossing pitches for the last 4 years is going to eventually have to find another position to play, her dreams of being a great pitcher are never going to happen. On the other hand their daughter has to take her lumps spending a season on the bench but her time is coming.

Guess who?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd