Flip change with back spin problems ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2013
My DD 10 throws flip change and finally getting good control and location. Her fast is in mid 40s and change is low 30s. So speed differential is very good. Her flip change has lot of back spin ( axis pointing dugout to dugout). quite often I see ball really moves like drop curve away from right handed batter. Her change up for the most part drops near the plate. My question is does this reverse spin cause problem later when her change up speed increase with age ?. I am worried that will the chnageup start hanging with increased speed. Any opinions from pros ?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No problems. Just have her keep using it. She has a lot of growing to do. For instance, if she is still using an 11 inch ball and pitching from 35 feet, she has that change to make - or she just did. Having a change up will teach her where to release it and when to use it.
She may use different CUs, as she learns different grips.

Jun 18, 2010
The fact that you have a 10U throwing an effective flip change indicates we should be seeking advice from you, not the other way around... DD is 14 and is just now consistently delivering the flip change... congrats on your success. If she can throw the flip change at 10U, I wouldn't worry about any adjustments she may have to make in the coming years.

Mar 12, 2009
Sounds like she's throwing it perfectly. She won't float it if her release point is correct. Make sure she's not slowing down her motion or arm speed and it will be deadly! My DD is just starting to throw the flip and half the time she slows down her arm cause she struggles with getting her hand turned over in time. I can't wait till she is consistently syncing the two.

Mar 6, 2013
Around three weeks ago I was asking this forum why my daughter stuck at speed for last two years and every one was of opinion that she was lounging and doing HE type pitching. Ever since we are training hard on implementing IR and throwing against stride foot resistance. She was learning flip change since last November and it was all over the place. Now for some reason her flip change started out perfect since last week or so. Funny thing is it occurred while warming up for scrimmage and I said "Hey your change up is consistent". and we had two practices afterwards and she can locate consistent basis And She doesn't slow down, her change up doesn't have hump. I have no doubt switching IR helped her flip change.
I cant say enough thanks for people on this forum. Thank god I found this right before the season. I learned more about fast pitch pitching in last few weeks than my entire life.

Dec 7, 2011
Couple thoughts on the flip change:

1. I remember a lot of younger girls going to the flip but I see almost no "flip" type changes at 16U and above. Why is that?

2. The flip change can put backspin on the ball which will not "drop" the ball. So I don't understand your "drop" mention.

3. When I used to coach DD's team (14U back down to 8U) I used to pitch flips myself and it would be sooooo confusing for the girls. Just throwing practice with flip style that I do (I am a baseball player....) So I think it could be effective but then I go back to my question in #1 above.....

Feb 7, 2013
Sounds like she is doing great with the flip change. Couple of things a) make sure her mechanics look just like the fast ball so you disguise the pitch b) throw it hard everytime c) work on locating it inside, outside, down the middle but keep it low in the strike zone.

The true test for her will be if she if comfortable throwing it on a 3-2 count? And remember to throw it at least once every at bat to the better hitters. I call the changeup the great equalizer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG