Flip change speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What kind of change did Jake throw?

She started to develop a flip at Chipola to compliment what many described as a great riseball. By the time she got to SC it was still a bit inconsistent but when it was on it was exceptional;. Had she only thrown her 2 seam it would not have been nearly as good. I expect it would have gotten hammered.

Don't get me wrong, a good flip change is better than nothing but without another complimentary pitch it is not nearly as effective. You need to ask the question if you are trying to be the best TB pitcher you can be or are you working to compete at the highest level in college? Have had more than a few pitchers that struggled with the flip but threw a very good drop, curve, or seam. When they learned to throw their go-to pitch at 2 or more speeds, they abandoned the flip and never looked back.

FWIW - I do not teach a CU. Instead I take their go-to pitch and show them how to throw it off speed. I do not tell them it is a change up, I just modify the grip/finger pressure and some other things, then tell them to throw it as hard as they can. If they do things properly the result is a very controllable and effective change up. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
She started to develop a flip at Chipola to compliment what many described as a great riseball. By the time she got to SC it was still a bit inconsistent but when it was on it was exceptional;. Had she only thrown her 2 seam it would not have been nearly as good. I expect it would have gotten hammered.

Don't get me wrong, a goof flip change is better than nothing but without another complimentary pitch it is not nearly as effective. You need to ask the question if you are trying to be the best TB pitcher you can be or are you working to compete at the highest level in college? Have had more than a few pitchers that struggled with the flip but threw a very good drop, curve, or seam. When they learned to throw their go-to pitch at 2 or more speeds, they abandoned the flip and never looked back.

FWIW - I do not teach a CU. Instead I take their go-to pitch and show them how to throw it off speed. I do not tell them it is a change up, I just modify the grip/finger pressure and some other things, then tell them to throw it as hard as they can. If they do things properly the result is a very controllable and effective change up. Keep it simple.

I remembered that she was still working on the change at SC but wasn't sure which one she threw. DD throws a wrap around deal. I'm not sure what it is called but it's good. LOL.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I remembered that she was still working on the change at SC but wasn't sure which one she threw. DD throws a wrap around deal. I'm not sure what it is called but it's good. LOL.
She threw the flip exclusively because it was her job to be the up ball pitcher. Her teammate Nickie Blue was the downball pitcher that threw a very heavy drop ball. Hitters said it was like hitting a cinder block. It helped Jake to focus on the push of the thumb and less on the flip.

By wrap around does that mean out of the back of the hand? I really like that pitch as you can learn to make it look like a curve, drop, or anything in between. A ton of options and like the flip the only thing that will tip it off is the difference in the release. Something that only the top 1% of hitters will find actionable. I challenge my pitchers when we have a good lead to go 100% off speed. Work the bottom corners of the zone and make them hit weak ground balls. It really builds confidence in the pitch.

Jan 28, 2017
Yes out the back of her hand. It's really good, IMO. I know it sounds like a daddy but the thing moves down and away a ton when on. When it's not great it moves more like a curve. Still good.

She is 13 and had been throwing the flip for a few years and every once in awhile she would get on the side of the ball and her PC would say that's good but not what we are trying to do. I would always think that was a lot better than anything she has thrown but he knows a lot more than me. One day walked down to me on the bucket and said, I'm probably about to mess her up. Taught her the wrap deal and it was good day one. Been throwing it a little over a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812