Fl. 14, az 3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
Oh no (tongue in cheek), you mean to tell me a high level player couldn't react fast enough to keep from taking a head shot? OMG, that never happens...

Hence, the need for a mask.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Oh no (tongue in cheek), you mean to tell me a high level player couldn't react fast enough to keep from taking a head shot? OMG, that never happens...

I guess her coach just failed to teach her proper defensive techniques! LOL

Jun 18, 2010
Wounded softball opens season in Tempe
By JAMES KELLEY Published February 8, 2013 at 12:58am Updated February 8, 2013 at 12:58am

Arizona softball opens the 2013 season sans half its pitching staff and its catcher.

The No. 14 Wildcats kickoff the season at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz. this weekend without freshman pitcher Nancy Bowling, sophomore catcher Chelsea Goodacre and senior pitcher Kenzie Fowler.

“It’s a challenge, but it is what is; you just gotta embrace it and move forward with it,” head coach Mike Candrea said.

Bowling, ESPN’s No. 7 ranked recruit out of high school, was hit by a line drive Saturday during a scrimmage and suffered a concussion. At first it was thought that she was concussion free, a diagnosis that was later changed.

“The verdict was no concussion, when we left the hospital, but then she developed some symptoms and so she’s concussed right now,” Candrea said on Wednesday.

Without Bowling, Arizona will only have two of four pitchers this weekend for the five-gameslate against Northwestern, Bradley, Cal Poly, San Diego State and Florida. Juniors Shelby Babcock and Estela Piñon, a junior college transfer, will take the circle for the Wildcats.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Florida would beat up on a lot of Teams that are missing a couple of their pitchers.

I would guess Bowling will be back soon. Because of all her bad luck it is hard to put much faith in Fowler when she comes back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
UofA will have a rather soft schedule early on. Maybe girls will get healthy. If not, this will be miserable.

When I coached at Springfield College (IL.) the girl that I recruited to pitch, got hit in her face, senior year. This was like year 2000. She never pitched again. She was gun shy.

After I took a direct hit in the face mask, it took me 3 days to get over it emotionally. I wasn't hurt, because the Gameface saved me. But the after effect felt like I had been in a car wreck. I was 55 at the time, so maybe girls in their 20s can shake it off. But, personally, I have never pitched w/o a net in front of me, since then.

I really hate to see "dads" throwing meat balls up to girls of any age, now. (From the front) Some don't even have on a glove.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
By the way a North Texas freshmen pitcher I saw on TV this weekend wore a face mask. Apparently there wasn’t “a reason” she wore a face mask she just did. It was unusual enough where the announcers were talking about it the next game and how it probably will become a trend in the coming years. We will see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32