First College Exposure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My 14yo daughter will be attending her first college exposure tournament next weekend. I am curious to hear from you as to what we should expect. My DD is a freshman in high school so we don't have many expectations really. We have a few sophomores and a couple juniors on the team so this exposure tournament is more for them. For us we are just using it for experience.

Your thoughts?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of showcases have started adding a "futures" division of 14U teams. If your DD is a STUD, she may catch the eye of a college coach or two, but don't get your hopes up. The "futures" division is there for one reason, and one reason only....$$$$. Showcases cost 3-4X more than a regular tournament ($800-1500 is what we typically pay). The best part about playing a showcase at 14U is gaining the experience so your DD will not be nervous when she is playing in one at 16U and it really matters!

Nov 14, 2011
JAD,

My DD is 14 but is playing on a 16u team. She has a December birthday so will be 15 by the Jan1 deadline.

My hope is what you stated in your last line. For her to get experience playing events like this so next year she will feel more comfortable.

Unless your daughter has been filling out the recruit questionairre forms, emailing, and calling her prospective colleges then you shouldn't expect anything. You have to put in the work for them to even know who you are or where to find you. It's alot of work!

Do you even know what colleges will be attending the showcase?

They are not allowed to call you or email you but you can call them and email them. (You=daughter) (They=College coach)

Also make sure you are sending the info to the Asst. Coaches as well, keep everyone in the loop!

I have a daughter that is a 2017 with a December birthday as well :)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Well DD makes 3 with a December birthday and 2017 graduation. She has played in 4 this fall and while we have seen a few coaches they were usually lost or there to see an older kid on the other team. She did exchange pleasnatries with a coach last weekend who ended up asking her name.

The thing I noticed was how fast the game is compared to 14U. Rocket blasts through the infield and many kids capable of going yard. I hear it takes the fall for upcoming 18Us to get used to the speed. Hopefully all will be ready come June.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Your daughter should be emailing coaches with her team name, her game schedule and express her interest in playing softball at their school.
When my daughter was in the recruiting process her coach required all players to send 20 emails out before every showcase tournament. Start now.

Nov 14, 2011
Your daughter should be emailing coaches with her team name, her game schedule and express her interest in playing softball at their school.
When my daughter was in the recruiting process her coach required all players to send 20 emails out before every showcase tournament. Start now.

That is exactly what my DD is doing today. I gave her a list of the 60 colleges that attended this event in the past and she is emailing the coaches today.

Thanks for the advice!

Dec 20, 2012
I would suggest making a skills video as well, for all the girls on the team. If they see something they like, they are more likely to come watch. If your team has multiple girls that will more than likely be recruited all the better, more coaches at every game. This is what my dd sent out for an introduction. In the subject she would put 2014 PITCHER AND VIDEO!!!(to grab their attention) I think they are more apt to look if there is a video attached(IMO). We had a list of all the D1 schools, coaches and asst. coaches. This was sent to the head coach and cc to asst. In the beginning it was sent to over 150 teams, then slowly narrowed down. It is work but well worth it. We tag teamed the emails, with that many being sent, she couldn't handle it alone. Then every tournament, holiday, report card.... any excuse to send an email with her video attached! If they see her name enough, they will start to remember it! Being able to play will also help, lol. Some make it very complicated, it is pretty simple just a lot of work. Good luck!

Dear Coach Moore,

I’m writing to introduce myself to you, Coach Lumley, and Coach Newman and TO inquire about Baylor University and your softball program. I would also like to invite you to watch me play this weekend at the Top of the World Exposure. I am a Native American student athlete and in my sophomore year of high school. It is my desire to play collegiate softball once I graduate in 2014.

I currently play softball for both blah blah High School and best team Gold. My primary position is RHP, but I also play first base. I have enclosed a copy of my resume describing my athletic experience, academic and personal information. My current GPA is 3.63. My ACT was taken on Dec. 10, 2011 and I am awaiting the results. I am considering a career in child psychology or teaching. I would appreciate information on any upcoming camps or clinics you may be sponsoring. I have attached the scedule for this weekends game times and a link to my skills video. I HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

Pitching skills video:

YouTube

If you have any questions please contact best team Gold Recruiting Coord:

Jon Doe
bestteamgold@yahoo.com

123-555-0711

Sincerely,

My Name

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
I love this stuff. I have a 15U team with no juniors where a few players wanted to go to the exposure tournament in St. Louis. Now my team this time last year was not strong, we added in the spring, and now we are a decent team (still looking for one more pitcher). When I asked my girls what do you want to study, they look at me like I have three heads. I asked them where do you want to go to school and they're all Michigan or Florida or Tennessee. You have parents with the same beliefs. Even in the top level organizations with all the gold teams you might have 1 kid that goes to a D1 school and that's not even an elite school. Everyone thinks you just go to college exposures and all the coaches look at all the players when in fact they're there to look at the players who contacted them, put in the work for them, and want to go there. They also don't understand that if you're good at softball that's great, but they need student-athletes. You can take a good athlete and make them a softball player, you'll have a difficult time making a good softball player a student.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves