Whats after 18U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Am I being canceled..😂

If you want to get better I cannot think of a better way…
Prior to joining this group, I had never heard of men's fastpitch. The thought of a boy playing softball instead of baseball was foreign to me.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Prior to joining this group, I had never heard of men's fastpitch. The thought of a biy playing softball instead of baseball was foreign to me.
Me either but a hitter facing a guy throwing mid 70’s will probably help them out for the next season..🤷🏽‍♂️

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Me either but a hitter facing a guy throwing mid 70’s will probably help them out for the next season..🤷🏽‍♂️
True, but they'd have to exist first. I played a lot of slowpitch over the years, but I still can't find a men's fastpitch league anywhere around me.

Jun 8, 2016
True, but they'd have to exist first. I played a lot of slowpitch over the years, but I still can't find a men's fastpitch league anywhere around me.
Midwest has the most I think. Not sure where Nugent played. That said I think there is a push for high level summer college softball leagues like they have in baseball. I know there have been a few started the last two years. I wasn’t good enough to play on the Cape but after my freshmen year I played in two wood bat college summer leagues.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Midwest has the most I think. Not sure where Nugent played. That said I think there is a push for high level summer college softball leagues like they have in baseball. I know there have been a few started the last two years. I wasn’t good enough to play on the Cape but after my freshmen year I played in two wood bat college summer leagues.
My daughter's team was a joke. Most of the girls were from a different D3 school on LI that was not good. They didn't take it seriously, and half the time they needed guest players to have enough to play, despite having 17 girls on the roster.

Oh, they also played against a team from her former organization that has two D1 pitchers, and most of the other girls play at schools in the Patriot League or the CAA.

Jun 8, 2016
My daughter's team was a joke. Most of the girls were from a different D3 school on LI that was not good. They didn't take it seriously, and half the time they needed guest players to have enough to play, despite having 17 girls on the roster.

Oh, they also played against a team from her former organization that has two D1 pitchers, and most of the other girls play at schools in the Patriot League or the CAA.
Doesn’t mean it cannot grow to be something better 😉 Got to start somewhere. The league in FL seems good from what I have seen.

I realize the OP is talking about now but my kid is only in 8th grade 😂

Last edited:

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
We did the 23U & Womens Division for 3 years I think, maybe 4 ... The competition that was out there was very good ... Mostly college athletes looking to keep sharp over the summer, some who didn't play in college, gals that had already graduated and some young mothers sprinkled in ... One tournament when a pick up player pulled a no-show, an athletes Mother filled in (and did great) ... The biggest challenge that we faced was a consistent roster ... I think we had 4 that played every year and the rest was a rotating list of players ... Some who had played with us in the past and others who we knew, barely knew or didn't know at all ... In general, they never really cared if the athletes were over 23. We just grew tired of rebuilding the team after every tournament and year to year ... I want to say in those 3 or 4 years we had 2 practices where everyone showed up.

One thing that we didn't have to worry about was athletes not being asleep in their rooms when they were supposed to be ... Keep in mind that if you're making a beer run at the end of the day, you'll probably need to take orders.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
In this area there are 18+ tournaments (USA Softball). I did some coaching there last year and there was a wide variety of teams. Some were mostly current college players with some recent grads added in and were very competitive. Other teams were composed of players who just wanted to play, some with some college experience, some without. Our team was of the later type. Without any previous experience with these teams I never knew whether we were going to get run ruled or be in a close game. Overall I think everyone enjoyed the experience.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I wish I could figure out why there are amateur baseball leagues for adults but it just seems like women are expected to be done once they get to college if they're not playing for their school.

Yes, leagues exist, but they're not easy to find. And like others have said here, a lot of those 23U leagues are college players, so the woman who just wants to keep playing but may not be at that level probably wouldn't be a fit there.

There's always slow pitch, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00