First baseman's mitt or not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
In softball, 1st base mitts are made for catching. In baseball, the 1st baseman uses a mitt due to all the throws from the pitcher for pickoff attempts. There is no benefit to fielding with a first basemans mitt over a fielding mitt.

Of course, there are plenty of glove manufacturers who will tell you otherwise to sell you product.

-W

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
I would highly suggest a first baseman's mitt. My daughter uses one and really likes it. Why would they allow a different glove style for first base only if it wasn't beneficial. I think there is a big advantage using a mitt. It helps with the pickoff attempts from the catcher and all the throws in the dirt from the left side of the infield.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
IMLE the mitt is beneficial. First is a one-handed position, and the size and design helps the reach and to trap throws in the dirt. IMHO open/H web designs are better for this.

In the circle, you want a glove with a closed web to hide the grip, and in a smaller middle-infielder size.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hey. Don't hate on the IE! Lol

I bought a inexpensive first base glove for my player. She loves it. I cant get it back!

How am I hating on your geography? I won't deny that a 1B mitt would be on my radar if it was a primary position for my DD. Lucky for me, my DD fell in love with catching, which MANDATES special gear. :)

GAS is a terrible disease, folks.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I have a 16 y.o lefty pitcher and after the initial use of both she uses her fielders glove due to constant familiarity for not only 1st but outfield in addition to pitching. If she just played first, I imagine she would only use the mitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom