First baseman's mitt or not

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
DD needs a new glove. She's a 12u lefty pitcher/first baseman. I'm totally clueless as to whether or not we should go ahead and buy a good first baseman's glove or not. I know the basics of why the glove is a different than a regular glove, but is it really that much more beneficial to have one? If so, what is it that makes it so much better? I've used one before, but it was very briefly and I really couldn't tell much of a difference.....but I was only playing catch.....wasn't really trying to use it to scoop low throws or anything.

Also, can or should she use a first baseman's glove while pitching???

Aug 6, 2013
If i'm not mistaken only the Catcher and 1B can use a Mitt all other positions have to use a fielders glove.

Jun 24, 2013
She can use a 1st base mitt anywhere on the field. I do not think she wants to deal with the extra weight/ size of the mitt while pitching though. If she is pitching I would stick to a “normal” mitt for now.

Jun 24, 2013
Not sure all the differences but the 1st base glove will be bigger/ longer. I would not recommend it for IF positions besides 1st. OF or C it is OK to use a 1st base mitt. Since your DD is still growing I would just purchase an IF glove and have her use it at 1st.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In the interest of protecting your DD's body while pitching I would keep the glove as light as possible. In a perfect world 2 gloves would be ideal but sometimes that is not possible. At 10U and 12U I think you will find more girls playing 1st base with a regular glove than with a specialty glove. I would go no larger than 12.25-12.5 and keep the weight down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog