finish high

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
To me that's a 'grey' area. I've seen some that finish high all the time, some mix the finish, some finish normal. I'd say it's an individual decision do to pitching style and the pitch being delivered.

The effect of 'finishing high' is there is still motion of the arms to distract the batter after the ball is released. If you are in the box looking at the released pitch to 'read' it's spin ( as to where it will break to ) the pitcher's arm still moving in the background should add difficulty focusing on' just' the spin of the ball. That's what it's post to do on paper anyway. :)

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I don't think it is good. On the other hand if a girl is already finishing high and doing well I would leave it alone. If she isn't that might me one of the places I would look.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Would finish high be a good cue to use for beginners learning proper mechanics of pitching?

Are you talking about their throwing arm or are you talking about them standing erect at the end of their pitch???

Are you talking about 'Standing tall'?

Hal

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Some of the girls are making a muscle. I was going to use this cue to get them to follow thru and touch opposite shoulder or head. Is this a good Idea or should I let them make muscle? These r new pitchers so Id prefer to start them on the right track so if there are any other suggestions on follow through/finish theyd be appreciated. Thanks Eric!

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Making a muscle at followthrough??? as in flexing a bicep???? that is just crazy IMO- for one thing,taut muscles are not fast muscles- just release the ball & let the hand go where it naturally wants to go depending on how you are releasing that particular pitch

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, I don't use that cue. I try not to tell them anything about the arm after the ball leaves the hand.

"Stay tall" as in posture. Yes.

I have seen my DD finish high, but I don't know what pitch it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck