Fingers on the Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
Somewhere when my DD first started pitching I heard/read that as you got older you had less fingers on the ball, and that this would increase speed. So in the back of my head I was thinking that someday down the road she would improve, hands would grow, etc. and she would then change her grip and have less fingers on the ball. I have never learned to properly grip the ball myself so don't know how I thought she was going to do this. I don't remember if this was videos I was randomly watching before I found DFP, or something I was reading, or I vaguely think I remember her first PC mentioning it too though.

Is this nuts??

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Somewhere when my DD first started pitching I heard/read that as you got older you had less fingers on the ball, and that this would increase speed. So in the back of my head I was thinking that someday down the road she would improve, hands would grow, etc. and she would then change her grip and have less fingers on the ball. I have never learned to properly grip the ball myself so don't know how I thought she was going to do this. I don't remember if this was videos I was randomly watching before I found DFP, or something I was reading, or I vaguely think I remember her first PC mentioning it too though.

Is this nuts??

I saw the same video…

Aug 18, 2013
You will have less friction on the ball if you go from a 3 finger grip down to a 2 finger. Less friction = less resistance = faster speed. Probably just a couple mph.

Its an easy way to change speeds on a pitch by adding and subtracting fingers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06