Fielding high hops

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 27, 2009
The high hop seems to cause the most issue for infielders, even at college games (I was just at one where this happened). Most of these hops hit the player in one shoulder or the other, while the player grimaces and tries to get the underhanded glove up there, an impossible task.

Coaches seem to believe that from reps or some magic force, fielders will know just when (on various types and qualities of fields) when the hop is short, long, high, etc., place themselves correctly, and field in the proper form (early/charge versus soft/stay back). But in real life, this is not the case.

The coach then says on an error why didn't you give on it? or why didn't you charge? etc. That is, the player can't win for losing.

I saw a baseball player turn his glove around to field the high hop, quite successfully. I understand that perhaps a baseball will hop higher.

Ever heard of this in softball>

Last edited:
I saw a baseball player turn his glove around to field the high hop, quite successfully. I understand that perhaps a baseball will hop higher.

Ever heard of this in softball>

Anything goes on a softball infield! Some resemble sand pits, some The Bonneville Salt Flats. I wish more infields were groomed to maintain a consistant flat smooth surface, most would agree sb infields resemble the surface of the moon! Whereas baseball grass infields typically stay smoother, allowing a more consistant and predictable carom/deflection angle. bb infielders also get 20-30 extra feet to react (90ft bases vs 60ft). I couldn't agree more that fielding high hops on a softball field are the toughest! Even 'simple' grounders can pop up

Coaches seem to believe that from reps or some magic force, fielders will know just when (on various types and qualities of fields) when the hop is short, long, high, etc., place themselves correctly, and field in the proper form (early/charge versus soft/stay back). But in real life, this is not the case.

The coach then says on an error why didn't you give on it? or why didn't you charge? etc. That is, the player can't win for losing.
I wouldn;t mind seeing coach step in to take a few reps, show me how 'easy' correct positioning and quick reaction (charge or lay back) is obtaianed in the blink of an eye.

Dec 28, 2008
The thing that separates physical errors from mental errors is that player tried to do the right thing but physically wasn't able to handle something as part of the play. The number of which should dwindle with training, practice and game reps, but they occur at every level of the sport. Teams that win, consistently, know how to overcome them by focusing on the next batter/play instead of worrying about last play. If something was the result of a lack of practice/training, the coach of a team that consistently wins, takes that burden on themselves and practices the needed skill at the next practice. If a player has worked hard and practiced, they shouldn't even feel the urge to apologize to their teammates because they don't expect it from their teammates when they make a physical error. Teammates should already have picked them up "Wow. That was the craziest hop I've ever seen. I know you got the next one."

Jul 26, 2010
Trying to understand a "high hop" here. Are we talking forehand, backhand, or straight on?

The big difference between baseball fielding and softball fielding is that there is much more time for the baseball player to field the ball and get the ball to 1B. In softball, so much as a bobble can spell doom. I tell my girls all the time, "Fielding is a race, you must get the BALL to 1B before the runner gets to 1B. I don't care how fantastic of a stop you made, if the ball doesn't beat the runner to 1B it's all for nothing".

That said, in softball you will see much more "do or die" fielding then you do in baseball. The fielder should be trying to get to the ball either before it hops or as quickly after it hops as possible. If the fielder gets there sooner, the ball cannot be a "high hop", because proper mechanics would dictate that a high hop catch the fielder either in their chest or in their hand protecting their face (slap the ball into the glove). If the fielder isn't fast enough and the ball gets away, chances are there wasn't a play anyway. In softball, the fielder cannot "lay back" and wait for the ball to come down. . . this is exactly why slapping is successful in softball, by the time the ball comes down from the bounce, the batter-runner is safe at 1b.

-W

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
starsnuffer and druer great posts. We work on infield drills each night to gain speed. We work as a team and each player cheers and picks up each player. We move the ball as fast as we can doing different drills and our kids are tired at the end of practice.

Apr 27, 2009
I agree. I always thought that "give with it" was not a proper thought. I say go get it early off the hop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish