FFS and others please give feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
The video is deceiving. I cant tell if she's working on the outside pitch or just has the tee set up too deep. That's why it looks like poor extension to me. I did notice what I consider to be a fatal flaw... her knuckles are wrapped and she is starting to roll before contact. And secondly I would address the stride foot landing flat. Instead; the toe, then the heel! This minor correction will allow for more body weight transfer at contact and will prevent being too early on change ups. Some people may think its petty, but I like to coach a full finish of the swing and follow through with the hands high. I hope this was helpful. Coach James

I only had her swing to extension because that's what we had been working on but it looks like to me she is way too far away from the tee in this clip to be trying to extend straight up the middle. I now have her holding the bat like she should and of course she fought me at first but she will get the feel for it.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
What is the purpose of the reverse grip with the top hand again?

I believe RDbass put a link of my DD doing the reverse hand drill.
When I work with a girl, sometimes I give them a drill and let them perform it with little to no instruction. Strickly for a feeling.

Say a girl is short arming it and slaping her front shoulder or back with the bat. One way of doing it would be of course to work on her sequence.
But another way with out saying much is the reverse hand drill. It will straighten out the lead arm. No more back slapping.
Sometimes i might add the words ( big finish) to the drill to give the student one swing thought with the drill.

Sometimes with that swing thought they might even give abit of stomach muscle thrust into the swing.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Allot of posters here talk using muscle groups, engineering terms, and words I have to google to understand.
More power to them if they can relate that to a gradeschool/high school girl.
My mind spins trying to read some of these posts.
I am not saying it is right or wrong, I'm not smart enough to understand it all.

I was always told by Howard to keep it simple. That approach seems to work for me.

SL

Mar 12, 2009
Allot of posters here talk using muscle groups, engineering terms, and words I have to google to understand.
More power to them if they can relate that to a gradeschool/high school girl.
My mind spins trying to read some of these posts.
I am not saying it is right or wrong, I'm not smart enough to understand it all.

I was always told by Howard to keep it simple. That approach seems to work for me.

SL

I agree! I said that in one of my post. Most of us don't understand supination and all the different terminology that can be used to describe movements, etc. Thanks for refreshing my memory for the purpose of the reverse hand drill.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you want to learn to hit with basic understanding that all can understand this will be coming out in 2013.
• the new 3 DVD series by Crystl Bustos finally done! The set (7 Steps, Hitting Workout and The Fix It DVD series will be ready the first of 2013! This will also show those that like to state she doesn't teach like she hits.

Sep 17, 2009
If you want to learn to hit with basic understanding that all can understand this will be coming out in 2013.
• the new 3 DVD series by Crystl Bustos finally done! The set (7 Steps, Hitting Workout and The Fix It DVD series will be ready the first of 2013! This will also show those that like to state she doesn't teach like she hits.

Wow, that will be both a must-buy on release and interesting to watch in terms of DFP aftermath ; >

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild