FFS and others please give feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Once I got my players to buy into lining up the knuckles and holding the bat in their fingers... ball speed off the bat went up 20% instantly!
I set up a ball and tee and then used my radar gun to measure the ball once hit. The speed off the tee with wrapped knuckles averaged 55mph and went up to 64mph once the correction was made!
This change increases bat speed and allows her to maintain longer bat lag which as you know will also increase the size of the hitting zone and her batting avg
All that from just holding the bat correctly…

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I spent $60 on the insider bat. It makes great since in theory. However, its light as a feather and the girls hate it because it weighs so much different than their game bats.
Look into the pro hammer bat. Its about $110. Same exact principals apply except its game weight and size and best of all... you can hit real balls with it!!! The insider will only hit wiffle balls.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Top hand drill...
Throw a tennis ball from the batting stance complete with load, stride, and rotation onto a firm front leg. Looks exactly like your skipping a rock at the lake. The ball should bounce off the ground approximately 8' in front of her. Emphasize that the elbow should start downward before the hand at the beginning of the throw (swing)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
We just attended Crystl Bustos camp on Saturday and it was awesome! There were 14 girls and it was like going to softball school for these girls. Here is the problem... The next day when my dd went to practice she tried to utilize all of the new technique she had learned. Her coach corrected her repeatedly and she left feeling frustrated. My background is pt and EVERYTHING she said made great sense! My daughter is only 8 and I would love for her to fix her mechanics while she is young but hard to do when the coaches are still teaching old school. Even the simple drill on one knee of flicking the wrist Crystal wants the elbow to extend straight to teach the chest to come forward. Dd coaches said NO WAY! How can I work on her hitting if she is going to be told she always doing it wrong.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Get a new team/coach. Send coach the link to this site. He can thank you later for helping him/her become the best coach he/she can be. The team will thank him/her for being the best coach.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We just attended Crystl Bustos camp on Saturday and it was awesome! There were 14 girls and it was like going to softball school for these girls. Here is the problem... The next day when my dd went to practice she tried to utilize all of the new technique she had learned. Her coach corrected her repeatedly and she left feeling frustrated. My background is pt and EVERYTHING she said made great sense! My daughter is only 8 and I would love for her to fix her mechanics while she is young but hard to do when the coaches are still teaching old school. Even the simple drill on one knee of flicking the wrist Crystal wants the elbow to extend straight to teach the chest to come forward. Dd coaches said NO WAY! How can I work on her hitting if she is going to be told she always doing it wrong.

I am sure SL and Howard would be great help for you on your path. As a coach...if she is working hard on something, even if I didn't agree 100% with it...good for her. If he doesn't like it...don't tell him or find a different coach.
Merry Christmas all!

Oct 14, 2008

Do what is best for your dd. There are so many that will try and discredit. As long as she likes it and is successful with it and you and her are happy with the result. After all you are the one paying for it.

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole