Feedback on the JJ DDs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Cowdogz;262750]To tell you the truth, not really. I don't see a whole lot of hip/shoulder separation in the bottom kid either, and the bug under his foot is just as dead, which is why "bug squishing" is the wrong thing to pick on

Never 'picked' on 'bug squish'
SBmom8992 asked this question:
I realize the point of showing that young man was for the hands portion of the swing but can we talk about his back foot? It looks like a squash the bug which was pointed out as something for JJ's younger daughter to work on. What does a good pivot look like?[
I answered with a gif and an explaination.
which is why "bug squishing" is the wrong thing to pick on.
I don't 'pick' on 'bug squish' unless it needs to be addressed or 'picked on'.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I don't 'pick' on 'bug squish' unless it needs to be addressed or 'picked on'.

Whatever it is that you are objecting to, "bug squishing" is the wrong thing to call it. Unless, of course, you are going to argue that a bug wouldn't get squished underneath that bottom kid's foot.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Bingo!!! Negative load toward the pitcher/positive load @ GO.

#2 is where the meat and potatoes are. Even though the positive barrel load from that exaggerated tip is BIG, this hitter DOES NOT sit back and just "turn the barrel". His hands are getting the handle to the RELEASE point WHILE the barrel is being loaded. Therefore he is still able to get to the INSIDE seam of the ball with some semblance of a hinge angle.

This is the 2 competing priorities of the hands. And it creates quick, educated hands.

Howe & fastpitch26, are you using hand load and barrel load interchangeably?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

I am, yes.

Back to you. Is this hand/barrel load, or is this something else?

TeacherDump_zps2d9211d5.gif

Is it consistent with:
Mentally extend that thumb up 33 inches and imagine how far the barrel accelerated as the hand turn to flat.

Or is it over-baked?

Let's go back and look at the kid:
TeeDrillRH.gif

We haven't even scratched the surface on all of the other non-sense that they like to pile. Wait until we get into. "pinch and hold the scap", and the "SCIP Axis"... LOL

For a kid who follows instruction verbatim, they will have him/her tied up in a knot.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Yes. I also agree with Howe's comments concerning direction. While I realize the lower half is extremely important to the entire swing, I feel proper hand usage is just as important.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is a hitter. He understands the importance of getting the barrel to the ball. That requires a plan. A plan requires DIRECTION. Loading the barrel is INCORPORATED into the DIRECTION.

RyTee.gif

To me, this statement is extremely important. Regardless how pretty a swing looks, failing to understand this part will make it exremely difficult to consistently square up live pitching.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
This young lady is not perfect, but the person making this statement is absolutely clueless and agenda driven:
Pull it back. Push it forward. All back. All forward

Watch the hands, watch the tree and watch the hips...

Dec 25, 2010
This is the clip that Fatboy say's I'm claiming:
JJSqueezeGo.gif

When I distinctly said:

bigDD%2030.jpg
CDavisGo.gif

So why would Fatboy purposely use the wrong clip? And then why would he claim I'm doctoring clips?

because he obviously has some weird issues that most of us can't understand

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
the thing I find most interesting is that the conversation is centering around my big girl. In all honesty I thought lil sis had more things to work on. Shows what I know. The other thing I find interesting is that basically the same advice was given for a drill. TMs is more isolated but I see what he means when he says that the drill Howe posted can't be done without it. They both focus on getting barrel loaded and the hands in more control. I am going to do both as a sequence. The TM drill and then The HOWE drill as a progression of the same thing.

I still don't see the all back all forward but I think this is more me not fully understanding. I see that there is something different between the two girls' swings but I can't see the difference in hip usage just yet. I will keep on trying though. they are in the front yard now coaching eachother on the first drill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG