Feedback on the JJ DDs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Two for one special today only....

Little one- 9 years old, All stars finished up and TB starts up in one month, she will be second year 10U.

Big one- 12 years old (last week- happy birthday sweetie) Just yanked her from her TB team due to coach getting fired and my lack of desire to drive so far to practice. She joins her local all star converted to TB team next month. Will be playing in a fall league that is a high school developmental league deal so mostly against 13-16 year old players.

So in both cases they have 1 month for a tune up. They both produce well at their levels, rarely strike out. little one pops up too much for her outs, older one hits weak grounders too much and hits too much to the right side for her outs, this has been getting better and better but still comes up occasionally. Power wise they both can hit it farther than most on their respective teams when they get a hold of one.

[video=youtube_share;R5ktiaP1ws8]http://youtu.be/R5ktiaP1ws8[/video]

I just saw that the big one still has some bat drag left in her swing so I am leaning toward working on this to get her hitting more to the left side by speeding things up a bit if we can remove the drag. For the little one, there is just something about her finish position with the angle between the bat and her hands that I can't quite figure out but makes me think that there is an upstream flaw causing it.

have at it boys, pull no punches.

Last edited:

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Threw me off when you wrote out the little one first and put big DD's video up in that one. Was thinking she was big 9 yo lol.

I have nothing constructive to add....I'm still simple after 53 pages of whatever is going on in the other thread..

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Big DD - I like a lot of what I'm seeing there! I might be inclined to use the cue "keep the hands closer to the shoulder a little longer, and don't let the rear elbow get in front of the hands", and see how she processes it. Watch out that she doesn't start pushing her hands forward, though.

(Nitpick - I wish you had not trimmed the video so short. I would like to see her extension and finish.)

Little DD - The first thing that jumps out at me is the reverse weight-shift and bug-squish. This looks to me like an upper-body driven swing.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Big DD - I like a lot of what I'm seeing there! I might be inclined to use the cue "keep the hands closer to the shoulder a little longer, and don't let the rear elbow get in front of the hands", and see how she processes it. Watch out that she doesn't start pushing her hands forward, though.

(Nitpick - I wish you had not trimmed the video so short. I would like to see her extension and finish.)

Little DD - The first thing that jumps out at me is the reverse weight-shift and bug-squish. This looks to me like an upper-body driven swing.

yeah...I noticed it being cut short after I exported but was too lazy to redo. I think you are right about lil DD. She has always had a tendency to get her body out in front and then power with her arms only. The swing just looks weaker and less snappy than her sisters.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Big DD looks like she has some connection between the rear hip and the hands, Little DD does not.

Both - You also might want to experiment with starting the bat more vertical and the rear elbow higher, and get them to firm up the connection between the barrel and elbow (barrel turning rearward brings the elbow down, moving as a unit). With BDD, I'm seeing the elbow coming down independently of the barrel movement. With Little DD, the elbow is starting near the rear hip.

A high elbow is not necessarily an absolute, but it might help your DDs improve their barrel turn behind the corner.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Two for one special today only....

Little one- 9 years old, All stars finished up and TB starts up in one month, she will be second year 10U.

Big one- 12 years old (last week- happy birthday sweetie) Just yanked her from her TB team due to coach getting fired and my lack of desire to drive so far to practice. She joins her local all star converted to TB team next month. Will be playing in a fall league that is a high school developmental league deal so mostly against 13-16 year old players.

So in both cases they have 1 month for a tune up. They both produce well at their levels, rarely strike out. little one pops up too much for her outs, older one hits weak grounders too much and hits too much to the right side for her outs, this has been getting better and better but still comes up occasionally. Power wise they both can hit it farther than most on their respective teams when they get a hold of one.

[video=youtube_share;R5ktiaP1ws8]http://youtu.be/R5ktiaP1ws8[/video]

I just saw that the big one still has some bat drag left in her swing so I am leaning toward working on this to get her hitting more to the left side by speeding things up a bit if we can remove the drag. For the little one, there is just something about her finish position with the angle between the bat and her hands that I can't quite figure out but makes me think that there is an upstream flaw causing it.

have at it boys, pull no punches.
Lower half is fine for now.

I'll say this a couple of different ways:
Hands take the long way home. IOW's, too many wasted frames getting the handle to where it needs to be in order to deliver the barrel. IOW's, she needs to be more direct in her hand-path. And when I say hand-path, the body delivers the hands where they need to go. AND she needs to load the barrel.

Here's something else that everyone should be aware of. When most kids hit off of a tee OR even side toss, they will have the tendency to counter-rotate excessively. Don't let them do it. If they do, they will not be practicing the same hand-path and delivery of the barrel as they would during live arm.

She also needs to begin her U rock late into the lower half running start. Slow and late.

Also, don't sweat the "bat drag" thing. That is a reflection of her trying to support her hands. Teach her hands correctly and it will resolve itself.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
a1O0DP.gif

u7OA3r.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

All of that movement just to get her hands to the same GO position as below:

CDavisSCIP4.gif