Feedback on the JJ DDs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Allow me to jog your memory.

Last August you sent me video of yourself doing this. You were working on "barrel turn". To pretend otherwise would be dishonest. In your demonstrations there was no "Along", just "Around". Worse, what should have been the "Around" was mostly you rotating your upper body. What should have been the "Along" was an "Around" action with a significant transmission loss of energy. You were physically restricting extension while you essentially rotated the barrel around your rear forearm into what should have been the "Around".

Your demonstration was helpful to me. It showed me just how lost an intelligent individual could become regarding what some considered to be a relatively simple concept. Don't read this as being your fault ... but more the fault of the information not being complete enough such that an incorrect approach could be avoided. It is because of such demonstrations that I coined the usage of "Around/Along" ... to help people such as yourself, and others that may have been equally confused, learn to better realize proper energy flow in the swing.

Yes. Nearly a year ago, I PM'd you video of myself doing some dry swings in my office, exploring different feelings related to the initiation of the barrel turn, and clarifying some things in my own head. For my needs at the time, it was a successful exercise. What's your point, and how does it relate to helping JJ's DD become more of a hitting beast?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes. Nearly a year ago, I PM'd you video of myself doing some dry swings in my office, exploring different feelings related to the initiation of the barrel turn, and clarifying some things in my own head. For my needs at the time, it was a successful exercise. What's your point, and how does it relate to helping JJ's DD become more of a hitting beast?

Yes, ... and you are to be congratulated for picking up a bat and demonstrating your understanding of a concept (“barrel turn”) at a particular point in time. You overshot … not a big deal … fairly common for a hitter to do that at first. You solicited feedback and received it. You were not working on an over exaggeration at the time … it was your guess, at that time, as to what “barrel turn” was.

How does that relate to JJs' DD? IMO, she also has overdone the concept of turning the barrel.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Yes, ... and you are to be congratulated for picking up a bat and demonstrating your understanding of a concept (“barrel turn”) at a particular point in time. You overshot … not a big deal … fairly common for a hitter to do that at first. You solicited feedback and received it. You were not working on an over exaggeration at the time … it was your guess, at that time, as to what “barrel turn” was.

How does that relate to JJs' DD? IMO, she also has overdone the concept of turning the barrel.

ha...JJs DD has no idea what turning the barrel is. Let me describe her concept of a swing for you...

"I like to swing hard and hit that yellow ball"...that is her concept of a swing...

PS- this weekend her concept of the swing in her first two at bats was...."I like to stand in the batters box and look at the pitcher and catcher play catch"

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
ha...JJs DD has no idea what turning the barrel is. Let me describe her concept of a swing for you...

"I like to swing hard and hit that yellow ball"...that is her concept of a swing...

PS- this weekend her concept of the swing in her first two at bats was...."I like to stand in the batters box and look at the pitcher and catcher play catch"

Your DD may not have heard the term, but you did write earlier that she was working on a "turn the barrel drill".

The drills are still what we were doing last fall when I decide to pursue the HI instruction. I quickly found that while I still buy into a lot of the concepts TM teaches, I just didn't like the vibe. I did take advantage of my membership to really scour the site and try to learn as much as I could in a short time. So we took what we thought we learned from having access to more of the content on that site and came up with our own plan. Basically the HI "tip it n rip it", the SNF/turn the barrel drill, a third drill with two tees set up so that she has to drive through the ball and hit both because she tends to spin off the ball a lot.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

The people in my office are now wondering what is wrong with me after laughing out loud at this quote!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I was working on understanding a specific feeling at the time. There were two avenues I was exploring. Our conversation was helpful in clarifying things for myself, which lead to some productive work with my DD.

I still don't see how my experimentation of almost a year ago has anything to do with JJ's DD. I'm not involved in her instruction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32