Feedback on the JJ DDs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I do RD. Aside from trying get rid of the shift then swing (used to be more pronounced) trying to get her hands in control and turning before dropping has been what we have worked on. Imagine the hand dropping completely with the elbow really collapsed and a fully flat swing and you will have her swing from last sept.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
One other tidbit. While older dd has always hit further, she is also much bigger than her sister age for age. Lil ones swing is far more advanced at this age then her sisters was at the same time. At 9 years old big one was a tangled mess of flailing arms that somehow made contact.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
That's because you know more now than when the older DD was younger. Same could be said for the most of us.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
That's because you know more now than when the older DD was younger. Same could be said for the most of us.

I tell the older one all the time that she is the practice kid so I can get it right with her sister, then I tell her sister she is a spare kid in case something happens to her sister. Then they tell me that their real dad still has hair. The JJ house is brutal.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Neither of 'you' see the dropping of the elbow then 'turning the barrel'?

Lookie here, young man...

Both - You also might want to experiment with starting the bat more vertical and the rear elbow higher, and get them to firm up the connection between the barrel and elbow (barrel turning rearward brings the elbow down, moving as a unit). With BDD, I'm seeing the elbow coming down independently of the barrel movement. With Little DD, the elbow is starting near the rear hip.

A high elbow is not necessarily an absolute, but it might help your DDs improve their barrel turn behind the corner.

;)

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
The rear elbow is not an issue. Get the right hand-set, load the barrel @ Go and take the right hand-path. Clearing up the counter-rotation alone, will change the look.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The young one uses her back/core better then her older sister.. Get her off her back leg (more stacked) and she will be in good shape.

u7OA3r.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Howe- we have been trying to get the hands more active and turning the barrel sooner for a long time. Drill suggestions?
Here:

You may want to get the barrel from behind her head, and have her split her helmet at the top of her handset. Get her to feel a negative load of the barrel at the top. Hands and wrists need to be relaxed. But they shouldn't go limp under the load of the barrel.

Here's a nice view, including the relaxed hands:

The whole "turn the barrel" non-sense is overblown. The idea is to load the barrel at GO, and keep it loaded - in the hands - until release. Release and extend through the ball. Centripetal to centrifugal.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck