Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2016
Its worse than auto accidents but its not as bad as this statistic. US has 55k deaths in a couple of months with projections around 100k-200k. Auto accident deaths in 2019 was 38,000. So its worse by maybe 3 to 1 or 5 to 1 but not 100 time worse which the above statistic suggests. Of course is complicated because the number is affected by the amount of social distancing.

It is complicated, but the statistics are correct. You are comparing total numbers which is fine, but that doesn't really measure risk. Virtually everyone in the US is a driver, passenger or pedestrian, and subject to risk from automobile usage. Thankfully, not everyone will contract Covid 19.

Covid 19 (risk: <60 with no underlying: 1 in 111), ranks slightly safer than Grand Prix Racing (1 in 100).

1588009221807.png

Mar 28, 2014
Clearly, the chart compares apples to apples. You want to compare apples to screw drivers, but only screw drivers with red handles.

Even using your cherry picked statistics (under 60 with no underlying), you have 9 deaths out of 1000, and you want us to believe that is less dangerous than driving a car? (FYI: Car accident fatalities: 11 deaths in 100,000).
Now you're just making up numbers!!! What color is the sky in your world?

May 16, 2016
Now you're just making up numbers!!! What color is the sky in your world?

I see you are running out of gas.... 2018 Numbers. These are coming from the US Department of Transportation. Not making anything up. Using your number, and the US department of transportation number.

My guess is, the news outlet you are frequenting that said Covid 19 is same risk as driving, is the one making up stuff...

1588021234702.png

Apr 16, 2013
Once again, life is risk. You can look at whatever numbers you want to in order to make your case. On that list above, I spent years participating in that #3 most dangerous sport: motorcycle racing. I knew, every time I got on that bike and headed out on the track, I was greatly increasing my chances of splattering myself into a retaining wall. (You see, it's not the "crash" that kills you, but when you make those sudden stops. The safer tracks have motorcycles in mind and have large amounts of run off after each corner.) BUT, I also ride a motorcycle on the street quite often. Every single scar I have on my body has come from a crash on the street, usually not my fault. With the law of averages and the stupid sh*t I've done, I shouldn't be alive. It may very well be the KungFlu that gets me (even though I believe I've already gotten it), or I may end up croaking from liver failure when I'm 60. Either way, I'm gonna die. I intend to be responsible with this thing once I get out in public, but I'm also not gonna sit in my home and cower in fear. I haven't seen my parents in months.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Mar 20, 2015
It is complicated, but the statistics are correct. You are comparing total numbers which is fine, but that doesn't really measure risk. Virtually everyone in the US is a driver, passenger or pedestrian, and subject to risk from automobile usage. Thankfully, not everyone will contract Covid 19.

Covid 19 (risk: <60 with no underlying: 1 in 111), ranks slightly safer than Grand Prix Racing (1 in 100).

View attachment 17298
I have not read all the way thru this thread and I am not advocating anything in terms of restarting, but I don't follow your analysis. It looks like you are only using stats for people who tested positive and then calculating the death rate from that population? Its not an active choice to get COVID19 so we are all at risk. The whole population of the US is an active participant just like driving. If it were a 100 to 1 comparison then god forbid we would have 3.8 M COVID 19 US deaths in 2020.

Apr 12, 2019
Once again, life is risk. You can look at whatever numbers you want to in order to make your case. On that list above, I spent years participating in that #3 most dangerous sport: motorcycle racing. I knew, every time I got on that bike and headed out on the track, I was greatly increasing my chances of splattering myself into a retaining wall. (You see, it's not the "crash" that kills you, but when you make those sudden stops. The safer tracks have motorcycles in mind and have large amounts of run off after each corner.) BUT, I also ride a motorcycle on the street quite often. Every single scar I have on my body has come from a crash on the street, usually not my fault. With the law of averages and the stupid sh*t I've done, I shouldn't be alive. It may very well be the KungFlu that gets me (even though I believe I've already gotten it), or I may end up croaking from liver failure when I'm 60. Either way, I'm gonna die. I intend to be responsible with this thing once I get out in public, but I'm also not gonna sit in my home and cower in fear. I haven't seen my parents in months.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

My last "sudden stop" was turn 4, the left hander after the chicane, at Blackhawk Farms Raceway. After a few years racing nationals, I thought it would pay off cherry picking regionals in what I knew would be my last year racing. I pushed the front, throttled the rear to catch up to it and got spat off the high side right into a tirewall/guardrail. It was 9 months before I was back to doing things I enjoyed and 3 years before I got back to full strength.
Moral of my story? Know when the risk outweighs the reward...

Mar 28, 2014
I have not read all the way thru this thread and I am not advocating anything in terms of restarting, but I don't follow your analysis. It looks like you are only using stats for people who tested positive and then calculating the death rate from that population? Its not an active choice to get COVID19 so we are all at risk. The whole population of the US is an active participant just like driving. If it were a 100 to 1 comparison then god forbid we would have 3.8 M COVID 19 US deaths in 2020.
No one can follow his analysis because it makes zero sense. And the worst part is he thinks it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.