Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2014
All of this is strange to me. People who have tested positive for Corona but died of an aneurysm or heart attack are listed with Corona related deaths

Feb 25, 2018
A couple things about MA:

Our state government was pretty on top of getting the hospitals to stop elective procedures prior to the covid-19 numbers taking off. Pre-pandemic, I think I heard the Governor state that the hospital bed occupancy rate was around 80%-83% of capacity.

The average age of covid-19 deaths are senior citizens. Not surprising, as there are more people in MA over the age of 60 then under the age of 20.

We'll be at 50,000 cases by the end of this week. Yesterday, the Governor rightly canceled in-person school for the rest of the academic year. I'm not expecting any softball this summer.

With all the ambiguity surrounding the virus,
I think it's going to be a while before there's a return to normalcy.

Be safe.

Feb 25, 2018
And while the mortality rate for young adults is very low across the country, the fact is young adults can still get covid-19 and pass it onto other more at-risk people.

Jun 8, 2016
All of this is strange to me. People who have tested positive for Corona but died of an aneurysm or heart attack are listed with Corona related deaths
All part of the Deep State....Everybody is in on it right down to the hairdressers refusing to order orange hair dye!!!!

Oct 2, 2017
I didn't disagree that they were doing this, only giving a tongue-in-cheek reason for it ..
I think possibly mid-last week they changed how they classified cause of death. For example: if you had a heart attack, and test positive for covid-19: it would be labeled heart attack with covid-19. I think they have changed it. Don't quote me on that, it needs to be verified.

I personally always questioned: when NY says 750 died overnight every night and it was like that for at least a month or longer. Is that 750 on top of their normal daily death rate due to other causes? If you think about that 750x30days= 22,500 in 1 month. That being said New York was the main place they were classifiying all deaths as covid-19 if tested positive Pre and Post death. So, that begs the question is it as high as claimed. I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness or those who have passed. Its a bad ordeal either way, but truth be told NY is the #1 place that affects the statistics in the US.

May 20, 2016
So, that begs the question is it as high as claimed.

They were only using the number of people that tested positive for covid-19 and passed away. With the poor testing in NY the real number was likely higher. And yes that number was on top of deaths from other causes.

Oct 2, 2017
They were only using the number of people that tested positive for covid-19 and passed away. With the poor testing in NY the real number was likely higher. And yes that number was on top of deaths from other causes.
Why do you assume it would be higher? Even according the CDC the vast majority have little to no symptoms. So a person goes to the hospital for a heart attack had little to know symptoms. Because they tested positive they classify that as covid-19 death instead of a heart attack.

Not everyone who contracts the virus is going to go the ICU and placed on life support. The vast majority won't.

Jun 8, 2016
Big study out of Massachusetts today. https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/04/20/massachusetts-coronavirus-covid-19-deaths

Basically ---
  • If you are under the age of 60, have no pre-existing conditions, and have COVID-19: you have a 0.0089% chance of dying.
  • Neat thing about this study is it noted only 27% of hospitilized patients needed the ICU
  • Massachusetts, the number three state in terms of total cases/million population, does not have a region whose medical facilities are more than 58% in use

View attachment 17225
View attachment 17226
Not sure where you got 0.0089%, it actually looks lower than that based upon the spreadsheet numbers you gave (0+1+7+13+63)/(933+4585+5636+5683+6873)=0.0035428

That said, we already knew that the chance of younger people dying from this was very low. If all people in this country over 60 lived on Old People Island then the country would have likely gone on living as usual...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32