Fastball turned into curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jhs

Dec 10, 2022
12u, she is been pitching about a year now. She loved throwing her new riseball. Now her fastball turn into curveball 8 o'clock rotation with a lot of spin, little bit of speed drop. How do we fix this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
12u, she is been pitching about a year now. She loved throwing her new riseball. Now her fastball turn into curveball 8 o'clock rotation with a lot of spin, little bit of speed drop. How do we fix this problem?

If you could get us a video sample that would help a lot...

Jhs

Dec 10, 2022

Thank you for the comment. Here is the video of her. Spin direction. Was 8o’clock rpm is 1022. And ball was a lot slower.

Jhs

Dec 10, 2022
Thank you for your comment. I think I like the fact that she has a lot of spin, but she is frustrated her speed drops. Sometimes her fast ball was drop curve at 7 o'clock.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The video is too blurred to be certain but it looks like her fingers are rolling around the outside of the ball. If she can throw it deliberately as a pitch, an off speed curve, then add it to her arsenal. Then you have to find a way to keep this pitch and come up with a different release for her fastball. There is usually a trade off between speed and spin. When the fingers go around the ball adding spin you will lose some velocity. If the fingers can stay behind the ball more they will add velocity. A typical fastball will have spin half way between top and bullet spin.

Jan 6, 2018
I agree with embracing it as a pitch in her arsenal if she can control it especially if she's not a fireballer. However if she still needs the speed teach her a drop. I don't teach anybody a "fastball" we use "drop" for that pitch. Lots and lots of info on this site for "drop" balls. Essentially the drop mechanics will help her find the rapid pronation needed to get back where she was with the "fastball" hopefully.

Reactions: Jhs
Jan 28, 2017
Fingers straight down at 6 o'clock and ball released at 6 o'clock will increase speed and keep the ball from cutting. If you pronate you should get some drop. Cutting isn't that bad if you know how and why you are doing it and can correct it if needed.

Jan 25, 2022
If you want to get rid of the inadvertent curve, go back to basics on the release and spin. Slap a piece of tape around the ball so you can see if she's spinning correctly (which at the moment, you know she isn't, consistently). At that age, I wouldn't want a kid to be unable send a basic 12 over 6 fastball down the pipe, which is where you're heading. Getting an accidental new pitch is cool and all, but you're gonna lose a fastball and ability to locate it. 12/6 is home base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles