Faking run from3rd to home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
OK. How about teaching your batters to assume a dropped third strike and always run to 1st, DONT LOOK JUST RUN!? Is that unethical too?

What if there are no outs and the bases are loaded? Batter still sprints for first. If the catcher is not awake and makes that throw, your 3rd base runner just scored! Is it still as unethical as 1 minute ago??

How many times have you seen a dropped third strike, the runner just gives up and turns towrd the dugout to have the catcher get the ball and tag them out.

3rd strike, you swing, you miss, YOU RUN. NO EXCEPTIONS OR HESITATIONS. THAT IS SIMPLY SMART SOFTBALL.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal, your very first post on this subject:

tells me that you have used this type of tactic. Is that how you let other coaches that this type of thing happens? By doing it to them?

:mad:

I am letting them know by starting this discussion on this forum.

Here's another one for you that I have seen used;

This requires one of the wooden backstops that have the wood coming to the sides on different angles;

Pitcher intentionally throws against the left side of the wooden backstop. The 2nd base runner AND THE BASE COACHES see a passed ball and sprints for 3rd. The ball ricochets right back to the catcher that has spun sideways, fires the ball, runner out at 3rd. It takes practice but it's a lot of fun to see happen.

By the way, this is one play that I never used. I did, however, get to see it used many times by my Fathers team when I was very young. They did things like that just to poke a little fun at the other teams. At that point, that team learned it and may have or may not have used it.

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
I'm not sure I would call it poor sportsmanship. Me personally, I wouldn't teach it though. In my opinion, you're better off focusing on the defensive end of it and teaching your catcher to check down 3 for poor baserunning, firing to first, then setting up to make the tag at home. From an offensive look and depending on the situation, a smart team isn't going to run into an out if the offense is going to give you first base. Furthermore, a catcher who gets rattled by an unfamiliar voice yelling likely has a high probability of making a mistake in the future.

Jun 22, 2008
Anyone attempting to use this play may want to read up a little on the interference rule.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I teach fundamental defense at the younger ages. I teach how to get the ball in play and smart baserunning for offense.

With runner on 3rd, on the bunt, whoever fields the ball is looking the runner on 3rd back then possibly making the play at 1st, then the ball is immediately returned to home. If the play can't be made at 1st, once the runner on 3rd is sure not to break for home, the ball is returned to to circle. I would much rather have runners on 1st and 3rd than to have one on second and be down a run.

As for a DTS; on defense the girls know what to do, it is practiced regularly. Yeah, the occasional mistake is made do to inexperience. On offense, my batter gets a third strike she is off and running for 1st, no one is yelling or otherwise trying to confuse the play. The batter/runner is taught to do this to ensure she has enough time to get to 1st before the catcher can pick the ball up and make the play. If the other team is not paying attention or is too slow, I have a runner on 1st. You are correct, this is smart softball.

Hal, nothing personal. I honestly believe that young players need to be taught how to play an honest game of softball and do their best to win honestly. When my girls are complaining that the other team is doing otherwise, I tell them that the best way to respond is to win by being a better team.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Anyone attempting to use this play may want to read up a little on the interference rule.

Think Comp is right on this. At least in PONY rules (pretty sure ASA would be the same) "Interference is defined as the act of an offensive player or team member that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. It may be in the form of physical contact, verbal distraction, visual distraction, or any type of distraction that would hinder the fielder in the execution of the play"

In addition to being bush league, I would say that the 3B runner would/should be called out.

It's really no different than a baserunner at 1B yelling "I've Got It" on a pop-up to the first baseman
If I'm the defensive coach, I am in Blue's ear about an interference call.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Think Comp is right on this. At least in PONY rules (pretty sure ASA would be the same) "Interference is defined as the act of an offensive player or team member that impedes, hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. It may be in the form of physical contact, verbal distraction, visual distraction, or any type of distraction that would hinder the fielder in the execution of the play"

In addition to being bush league, I would say that the 3B runner would/should be called out.

"3rd strike, you swing, you miss, YOU RUN. NO EXCEPTIONS OR HESITATIONS."

If your team has been doing that on EVERY third strike swung at and missed, you will be hard pressed to get an umpire to give you an interference call.

They have done it every time on a third strike swing and miss and the other team should know that too.

How can the catcher be making a play on a batter that is already out???

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Wasn't talking about DTS. I think running on strike three is fine...it's up to the catcher to know the situation.

I was refering to the the 3B runner yelling "Going" on the bunt. That is a deliberate attempt to confuse the defensive player (again..no different than yelling I've Got It on a pop-up). If Blue picks up that it's an offensive player yelling, THAT would be the interference.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm surprised this is even a topic for discussion. I cannot think of a time when an opposing player should be yelling at the other team to try to confuse them? IMHO, it's similar to negative chants by the opposing team and should not be done.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Wasn't talking about DTS. I think running on strike three is fine...it's up to the catcher to know the situation.

I was refering to the the 3B runner yelling "Going" on the bunt. That is a deliberate attempt to confuse the defensive player (again..no different than yelling I've Got It on a pop-up). If Blue picks up that it's an offensive player yelling, THAT would be the interference.

I can say pretty much anything I want about the other pitcher; as long as I am saying it TO one of my players or coaches. When the runner yells "Going", she is letting the other base coach know. No problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez