Facebook post re EC Bullets / Schnute

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2021
Yup, it's uncomfortable for many. Do you want to make others uncomfortable? Or just like stirring the pot? Or do you get a satisfaction out of making people say words from your book and not theirs?

Or do you think they can just stand off to the side and not participate? Yeah, great solution. :(

Just no place for it on the softball field.
Players/coaches can always walk off and not participate.

Oct 4, 2018
No place for a prayer on a ball field? Why?

I'm not a big church-goer, and I don't understand the "uncomfortable" argument. Why do others need to abstain from a completely optional, short, and benign activity because someone might be uncomfortable? There's something called the 1st Amendment and, just like the speech part, the comfort of others isn't a consideration.

Go grab a snack or go to the restroom. It will be over in a minute.

*sigh*

May 17, 2012

I'm not a big church-goer, and I don't understand the "uncomfortable" argument. Why do others need to abstain from a completely optional, short, and benign activity because someone might be uncomfortable? There's something called the 1st Amendment and, just like the speech part, the comfort of others isn't a consideration.

I can just offer a counterpoint of view from a coach's perspective having seen his play out numerous times over the years. Peer pressure is real for young people and I have seen numerous players over the years participate strictly due to the pressure. It's even more challenging when a coach is leading the prayer.

You can say that it can be a teaching moment but why does it have to be? I don't see this play out in other forms of entertainment.

May 21, 2018

Why is a good question. Why can't you just get off the field and have your church service somewhere else? Feels like entitlement.

Jun 27, 2021
That's amazingly short-sighted. Do you think that will go over well? It won't. Girls/parents/coaches will talk about who didn't participate and there will be backlash and it won't go well.
Not short sighted if they feel uncomfortable, just stating they can continue on. I get what you're saying but it's a choice and one that follows them/could follow to college where they pray as a team .

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I can just offer a counterpoint of view from a coach's perspective having seen his play out numerous times over the years. Peer pressure is real for young people and I have seen numerous players over the years participate strictly due to the pressure. It's even more challenging when a coach is leading the prayer.

You can say that it can be a teaching moment but why does it have to be? I don't see this play out in other forms of entertainment.

There's a lot worse things to feel "pressured" about. Still don't get how this triggers people who don't want to participate. For many, it's most certainly not "entertainment". That's a very condescending thing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi