Non softball - School re-opening

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2016
Have any families received guidance from their school districts yet on re-opening? We received preliminary information that our HS will re-open after Labor Day (normal). Monday will be an online learning day. One contigent of students attend classes Tues & Wed, then online/home learning. Other group will be at school Thurs & Fri.(assuming online/home Tue-Wed). Additional info is that classes will be socially spaced and masks at all times. Decontamination over the weekend.
While I am glad an effort is being made to get back to live instruction, I think a 3 day rolling effort would be better eg: Contigent 1 in school Monday, Contingent 2 on Tues, Clean Wed & online instruction, repeat Thur & Fri. Clean weekend. I think it would allow better and more useful interaction with teachers--review previous material, questions, introduce next topic, work at home, repeat. Would be more like a college schedule as opposed to 2 on 3 off. Hopefully admin has used time to procure good resources for online instruction. Spring was heavy review and prep for AP testing. It was not optimal but understandable due to emergency. I am concerned about starting all new material and how effective online instruction will be, particularly the lab sciences.
I would be interested to hear what is happening elsewhere around the country (this is South Jersey).

{Moderators move to where you feel is appropriate}

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Do to health issues DD was more or less homeschooled so we were comfortable with it to begin with. She completed HS online.

It was really hit or miss, same as being there in person. Some of the people seemed incompetent to me most were really good.

She, and we, liked softball to get her out in the world and interact with people.

She got a 100% on her final exam in 1 class, she thinks it was because of the teacher felt they let them down. Unfortunately we never know.

Jul 29, 2016
My kids go to a private Catholic school. They are planning in-person classes, and they have contingencies in place if someone gets sick and they have to switch to remote learning.

Honestly, with what tuition costs, they were probably facing some attrition if they did anything else. The City of Atlanta School System has announced 100% virtual learning. Other local counties seem to be offering both and asking families to choose.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
My DD's both attend private school. They will be returning to on campus classes on Aug 12th. It should not be too tough for their school as the classroom size has always been very small. No more than 15 or so kids per class.

Apr 25, 2019
In Phase 2 here in Louisiana, K-6th grade are going back as normal. Teachers are required to wear masks. They are also required to wear face shields if coming within 3 feet of them. Students are currently, strongly recommended to wear a mask. 7th-12th grade are doing a hybrid schedule of Class A goes to school Monday and Tuesday. Class B goes Thursday and Friday with Wednesday being a virtual day for both Classes.

In terms of sports, football, basketball, and wrestling are on hold until Phase 4 (whenever that is). All other sports may be able to play in a limited capacity in phase 3. In Phase 2, really the only sport allowed is swimming and all other sports can practice and play intersquad games but that's it.

Jul 8, 2020
Los Angeles and San Diego counties here in CA just said they would not return to the classroom in the fall. Private schools seem to be returning, but don't know for sure.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pasadena, CA - Pasadena Unified School District announced today that students will be doing 100% distance learning when school starts on Aug 17. As expected, PUSD has followed the footsteps of Los Angeles USD.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
NY seems to be heading toward starting school in classrooms, with that status dependent upon (regionally-based) COVID stats remaining at low levels.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802