Facebook post re EC Bullets / Schnute

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2021
I know a lot of teams in the south are very religious. I always dread going south to play because the teams always try to make our girls pray with them after the games.
You are damn right I do. Those fathers should graduate high school and go get in a good apprenticeship in the trades. That way they can start providing financially for their child. The last thing on their mind should be travel sports.
Maybe it is in the best interest of the child for there parent to continue there eduction. So they can better provide for there future. Maybe sports is the way they get that degree that leads to better job better pay and a better future. There are literally hundreds of students on scholarship in college that have kids. If you are lucky enough to have people in your life that will help you fulfill your potential that is obviously the best path forward for everyone.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Sorry but that’s not your role. If this young lady’s parents are willing to help her and support her with this child through these years then who are you to decide she has to give something up and in theory there’s a father here. Maybe he should take this baby when mom has to travel. She didn’t get pregnant alone. I think it’s admirable that she has a family that will continue to support her dreams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you are calling admirable, I would define as selfish in terms of playing travel softball instead of spending time with an infant in this scenario. The grandparents helping out to further the young ladies education is different than helping out to play travel softball.

I on the other hand believe it is admirable for a mother and father to raise their own child. Regardless if the parents are capable of helping out. Good parents have to sacrifice extra curricular activities to raise a child, it is part of being a responsible adult. I know I certainly had to give up activities that I enjoyed before I became a father. I would like to believe that most parents would share a similar viewpoint.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My 20yo DD summed it up well...we don't have much context and don't know anything beyond the player's perspective. My house full of women are highly skeptical about someone not already carrying lots of extra weight carrying a baby to term and having NO idea they're pregnant. For some, it's possible to hide a pregnancy from others, but it's a tough sell that a well conditioned athlete would be so out of tune with their own body.

From my perspective, it's an unfortunate mistake that deserves some sympathy. However, this wasn't an immaculate conception, and apparently not the result of a crime, but a conscious adult-level decision. Regardless of intent, adult-level decisions often produce adult-level consequences, and I'm a bit surprised at the reaction I've seen.

The responsible priority is to take care of that newborn while focusing on actions that will, going forward, provide for it in the best way possible. That may be where the coach is coming from...I don't know. I do know that when my kids were born, I gave up some time-consuming activities that I'd enjoyed most of my life. My wife gave up, without looking back, a very lucrative career with lots of room left for her to run. Unless softball is a direct path to an education that can't be had any other way (unlikely), there are more pressing priorities for a responsible person. Shaming the coach on social media isn't one of them, and isn't a great indicator of character.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
To me it is her decision to play.
A few parents on my DD travel team have children under 5. The travel ball often forced the parent to spend lots of time away leaving the other children with the father/mother/grandparent.
One parent coach has 3-4 year old other parents often watch during practice.
Should they pull the older sibling from the travel team so the mother can be home with the little ones?
I think next tournament I will approach a parent in that situation and advise them they should be at home taking care of the youngins.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yeah, I'm not a fan. I believe in separation of church and softball. My family is Christian and we know the Lord's Prayer, but forcing it upon everyone isn't kosher IMHO. Pun intended. :)
The Lord Prayer isn't kosher? Well, that is kinda funny but to too funny. I would like to know what "forcing it upon everyone " means? Is it, "We are saying the Lords Prayer and you must do so also." I've never seen that. If your family is Christian, then saying the Lords Prayer is your nature. It is who you are. If not simply go your own way. ....."But it is uncomfortable." ???? Why? I hear people say things all the time that I don't believe in. I never feel uncomfortable. I just pray for them.

Sep 15, 2015
A few parents on my DD travel team have children under 5. The travel ball often forced the parent to spend lots of time away leaving the other children with the father/mother/grandparent.

My kid’s high school coach had two kids during her four years, one born two days after the last state tournament game. Those kids spent a lot of time at the field, in the dugout, in other people’s laps, etc.

I am not sure it ever occurred to anyone that she should have been doing something different with her time besides coaching, which obviously was basically a volunteer position.

ETA: the girls did report that coach was “very moody” toward the end of pregnancy number 2, and that her fungoes had gone downhill, but, again, nobody seemed to think that she wasn’t doing right by her kids or that her priorities were screwed up.

Maybe it’s different when you are age 26 as opposed to 17 ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
Right and I always wondered how that happened. My wife was working out pretty much right up to the birth of all my kids but that whole not having your period thing would be a red flag to check at some point no ?? Just find it strange that a person could be so out of tune with their body 🤷‍♂️

a lot of athletes miss periods or stop having them altogether.....

May 27, 2013
I would say at the end of the day, this is definitely something that is TMI to share on the internets (compared to sharing hitting videos). Being a new mom by itself is difficult enough without hearing how the rest of the world feels about your choices regarding your life.

May 20, 2015
IF the coach had said you've been away from the team, you're not in elite game shape, we'd like to put you on one of our other EC teams as you play your way back......that's one thing

telling her she's off his team because it projects a bad image is entirely another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand