Non softball - School re-opening

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Our high school is planning on doing a Group A & B. "A" is in school Mon-Tues. "B" is Thurs-Fri. Wednesday is a "flex" day that can be a variety of things, depending on what the school needs to do. From what I've seen on the news, many suburban Chicago districts have a similar plan.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
NY criteria: schools will be allowed to reopen if they are in a region with a 14-day average daily infection rate of 5% or lower that is also in Phase 4 of economic reopening.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
DD got news today that her school will start with distance (on-line) learning in the fall. I hope they've learned something form the clust#### that was distance learning in the spring and have made some improvements. They will reassess later and reopen "when safe".

Honestly if it's a choice between super spreader schools and on-line learning, I'll take the on-line learning. I just hope they have actual on-line classes and not random zoom meetings to check in and see how everyone is doing.

We're in Nor-Cal. Oh and the football team was doing "distance practicing" this week whatever that is but I have a hard time seeing football in the fall this year given the cases are still increasing. Wife and I see one of our local 14U and 12U teams practicing at the field on Saturday morning when we walk by but there are no tournaments in the area that I'm aware of not sure they are cleard to be out there but they are.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I just read that over 30% of children in Florida who have been tested have come back positive for COVID-19, mind you this in summer when school is out. So while they may not be a high risk population for death from the disease based on age they sure seem like they are a high risk population for spreading the disease.

Oct 4, 2018
I never thought of myself as a liberal. Having said that, I am concerned that here in Georgia, the school districts that have the most at-risk kids (like Clayton County and City of Atlanta) have made the early decision to go all-virtual. A lot of these kids rely on breakfast and lunch at school not to go hungry. They don't have internet at home, and they sure as hell don't have computers. The decision to go virtual is going to ensure that education passes these kids by. That education is the only shot that most of these kids have to get out of their dire situations.

I also think its ridiculous that we've politicized the issue of pandemic response. It makes no sense at all that we are making public-health decisions based on party affiliation. The one constant I see is that all of the politicians are lost at sea on this issue.

They will get a device (computer or surface) delivered to them to be used for school and bus drivers are reprioritized to meal delivery. I do believe more solutions are coming.

Agree with you 100% on politics. Crazy that it's become political. It's a virus.

Oct 4, 2018
NY criteria: schools will be allowed to reopen if they are in a region with a 14-day average daily infection rate of 5% or lower that is also in Phase 4 of economic reopening.

Atlanta is also based on numbers. People are saying it's this or it's that. But they put out a "criteria for opening" and we blew right by those numbers weeks ago, and only getting worse.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In one Chicago burb, they are planning to divide the kids into 2 groups. Mon: On line learning.
Tues: Group A.
Wed. Group B
Thurs. Group A
Fri: Group B. It is a well-to-do burb, with 99% of the kids having iphones, macs, ipads, and 1 gig internet.

Dallas is a up in the air. They are having trouble nailing down any plan. They are getting zero help from the state government...no one wants to stick their neck out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi