Face masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
Watching Kentucky vs Georgia and both starters wearing masks. I didn't think top 20 teams in the NCAA allowed it?

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Watching Kentucky vs Georgia and both starters wearing masks. I didn't think top 20 teams in the NCAA allowed it?

I am watching the same game and I was glad to see both pitchers wearing their mask. I recently got into a discussion with another parent that has a DD that pitches, but doesn't wear a mask. I asked him, would you send your DD to the batter's box to hit without her helmet? I also mentioned that the potential exit speed of the ball from the bat is greater than the pitching speed. He really didn't have a response other than his DD wasn't comfortable wearing a mask, etc.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I was about to post the same thing!!!! Glad to see more and more masks showing up in the college game!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am watching the same game and I was glad to see both pitchers wearing their mask. I recently got into a discussion with another parent that has a DD that pitches, but doesn't wear a mask. I asked him, would you send your DD to the batter's box to hit without her helmet? I also mentioned that the potential exit speed of the ball from the bat is greater than the pitching speed. He really didn't have a response other than his DD wasn't comfortable wearing a mask, etc.

Today's pitching masks are pretty comfortable and once a player gets used to wearing one it becomes second nature. Kind of like wearing a cage on a batting helmet. My DD has never worn a batting helmet without a cage, so she does not think twice about it, although she does like some cages better than others.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Watched a batter take a foul ball to the face... mask tonight. I think that should be required, too... I'm sure the batter was happy she made that choice.

Hooch Fagaly and a 2-strike change-up are the reasons Inglesby wears a face mask... just a peaceful fyi...

May 18, 2009
I'm glad the masks are catching on. About 50% of the HS girls wore them this year. I know some coaches believe its a taboo for recruiting but as more and more young ladies wear them the taboo gets broken.

Feb 17, 2014
My DD said that if a college refused to recruit her because she wore a mask it was their loss.

A great attitude from my point of view

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal