Essentials

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to ask, If you had a group of girls (10u) that really don't know the basics that well of the swing, because they never have been taught, What is the main thing that you would teach them that is bare bones, that could be done in a group setting?

What came to my mind is getting them to stride to the launch position consistently. As the #1 thing. Not so much coil, or any of those, but a basic, stay to the inside of the rear foot instep with knee, control stride forward into the launch (Think Justin Stone Feet together drill) position. Knob pointing at the catcher, barrel up, hands roughly at shoulder.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
pull elbow back (without calling it a scap load) during the stride will help them with their balance during the stride

May 16, 2019
For beginners (but not only for) I like what Buttermaker has to say about turning from the core and obliques. I've fallen off the cliff with my grand kids several times trying to keep it simple. We have been working on rotating from the core. I think this is a great way to start the art of teaching hitting to a group or beginner. I also think several of the PVC drills are excellent in a group setting .

Oct 2, 2017
For beginners (but not only for) I like what Buttermaker has to say about turning from the core and obliques. I've fallen off the cliff with my grand kids several times trying to keep it simple. We have been working on rotating from the core. I think this is a great way to start the art of teaching hitting to a group or beginner. I also think several of the PVC drills are excellent in a group setting .

Thanks Mike. Certainly trying to keep it simple and repeatable.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Start balanced.
Athletic posture.

( Not standing straight up.
Not weight piled on back leg)

May 3, 2014
As part of this eliminate and bug squishing they may do and using the rear leg for anything but balance/support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32