Errors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
At my wits end trying to figure out my teams problems on defense in a game. We do pretty well in practice with everything, but we struggle in games. Perfect example was this weekend. Leading 10-3 going into the last inning, we preceded to make 7 errors and give up 12 runs to lose 15-10. And it wasn't one or two girls. Those seven errors were by seven different girls. Same thing in the second game. Ahead 10-7, last inning we gave up 5 runs. This time our bats bailed us out and we still won 13-12. Third game no problems only one error. Then the errors came back again in the fourth game we won but 4 of the 6 runs we gave up were unearned.

Someone out there must of had a similar situation. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My hair is already gray...next step is it falling out!!!! ;)

Apr 6, 2012
Errors are so frustrating, but they are a part of the game. Just watch the college teams playing in regionals and even some in the super regionals and you will see errors. They also seem to be contagious! In my opinion, errors are caused by several reasons. One is bad mechanics, foot work, etc. Those can be handled by repetitions and insisting that kids use correct techniques and mechanics. Believe it or not, it helps and it can be one of the easiest of the reasons to handle. Second, the speed of the game and the unexpected can cause errors. Make your practice drills at game speed. Also, don't get into a set pattern with infield and outfield practice. After the initial warm up rotation, hit ground balls randomly at different positions, at different speeds, etc. Cover as many possibilities as possible, pop ups between players, hard smashes, slow rollers. Use runners in your practice and, to really speed things up, give them a head start. Encourage communication between players and always have the players think for themselves as to what they would do in a game situation ( we have 1 out, runner at second and we are tied, what would you do?) ( There is a good drill called "scatter" on Softball Excellence) Pressure is the biggest cause of errors and you can play a game like 21 outs to bring competition into your practice. ( In that game your defense has to make 21 outs without making an error; if they make an error they start over.) This helps with the mental part of the problem. Also, how do you handle errors in games? Do you let them rattle you? If you do, the kids will notice. I never realized that my players could actually see my reactions in the dugout and that it impacted them. Now, I try not to react to errors so they will stay calm. Hope this helps. Our team still has its moments, but we are getting better!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, what are the errors specifically? Where are the errors? Are they fielding or throwing errors? During practice, do you put pressure on the girls to (1) field correctly, (2) throw correctly and (3) do it quickly?

You are going to have to spend more time practicing...and you are going to have to focus on their fundamental fielding skills.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
They also seem to be contagious!

Too true. If we start with an error in the first inning, I know more are to follow. Very rarely if we start "error free" we have more than 2-3 for a game.

Same with hitting, if we can get the lead-off on in the first inning I know the bats are there.

My hair is already gray...next step is it falling out!!!!

10 years ago when I started fastpitch I had long beautiful hair and a Steven Seagal pony tail. Now I'm bald and just keep it shaven like Mr. Clean. Fastpitch will do that to ya. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
76 % of errors occur from throwing. Most girls are not throwing at home. Fielding practice does not have to be difficult, at home. Once every girl is getting help at home, then they will have good muscle memory to rely on.

What happens after the first error? Are you calling time out and going out to talk? Are the girls picking each other up, through encouraging each other and maybe going over and pumping the player up? Is someone taking the leadership roll and saying where the next play should go? Is the player acknowledging the error?

Cathy Veroni (Western IL. University) says to draw yourself a box in the dirt and stand in it, saying to yourself "Nothing gets by me."

Jul 26, 2010
Typically kids make more errors in games then at practice if they are motivated more by fear of failure then they are motivated by desire to succeed.

How do the coaches respond to errors and what motivational strategy is being used by the coaching staff to recover?

-W

Jul 6, 2011
I find most throwing errors are caused by rushing and throwing off the back foot, or not getting lined up properly, at least at the younger levels. I teach the girls to take the time they need to field the ball properly, and get themselves into the proper position to make a good throw. I tell them I'd rather have a good throw late, than a bad throw on time. If they do this enough they'll develop confidence in their fielding and in their ability to make the play, and timing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just remembered something that I used to tell the teams. "Do not follow one error, with another." Which means, if you are the 3rd baseman and you just bobbled the ball, do not pick the ball up and throw it over the first baseman's head, (for example.) Pick it up, watch the runner/runners and toss the ball to the pitcher.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I just remembered something that I used to tell the teams. "Do not follow one error, with another." Which means, if you are the 3rd baseman and you just bobbled the ball, do not pick the ball up and throw it over the first baseman's head, (for example.) Pick it up, watch the runner/runners and toss the ball to the pitcher.

Thats the same advice I give my kids about life.

make one mistake (drinking) don't follow it up with a worse second mistake (driving)... The second mistake is worse theme is common in almost every aspect of life.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Practices must be held with some pressure on the players. Teams often practice everything, but pressure situations. Coaches must create the pressure situation on the practice field. We wouldn't expect an infield to execute a wheel play on a bunt if we didn't do over and over it in practice. We can't expect kids who never practice under pressure to perform under pressure in a game.

Put something at stake during practice. make them play for something. No errors, you get ice cream.

Or an error and the team runs the bases. No errors and the coaches run. Kids love to see the coaches run. Make sure you aren't rewarding errors in practice, there are no nice trys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45