EP vs. DP Flex...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
SnoCatz....

Can you please point to the rule (ASA or NFHS) that says the DP can't enter the game on defense until after the first pitch? I can't find that, and don't think it's true, but would be happy if you can set me straight.

I have from time to time put a good hitting pitcher #1 into the DP spot, with weaker-hitting pitcher #2 into the Flex spot, then immediately entered the DP/pitcher into the game to pitch when we first go out into the field. If we decide to use pitcher #2 at some point, we can do so without losing our good hitting P#1. I realize there could be other ways to accomplish this, but under certain circumstances it's worked well for us, and we've never had a rules challenge.

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
I can find no rule that says the DP can not enter on defense until after the first pitch. There is a rule that does cover if you have used a courtesy runner for the pitcher on the line up card in the top of the 1st inning, that pitcher must face the 1st batter.

I dont know if possibly this is what you did, but that is the only rule I know of that could be construed as the DP not being able to play defense until after the 1st pitch.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
NFHS rule says that FLEX can play defense for any player in the batting order at any time. There is no stipulation in NFHS rules that the DP must start the game on the bench. I believe that the same is true for ASA, but have had umpires argue it with me. It's such a non-issue, though. 1 Pitch. If I get an ump who doesn't get that part of the rule, I just wait a pitch and make my switch. Otherwise, it's just needless aggravation.

The FLEX does always have to be in on defense, or she will need to be re-entered. I've been using the FLEX/DP a lot this year in HS as a means of being able to make more changes defensively and get more kids into the game. I'll use it in bracket play in ASA, too. Definitely not enough coaches taking advantage of this opportunity.

Jan 15, 2009
After looking I can't find the specific rule about DP not getting in until after the first pitch. Sorry for propogating an urban DP myth. Got it from an umpire at State last year when I went to make my first swap during the first defensive at bat the other coach complained and the umpire said I could do it anytime after the first pitch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
After looking I can't find the specific rule about DP not getting in until after the first pitch. Sorry for propogating an urban DP myth. Got it from an umpire at State last year when I went to make my first swap during the first defensive at bat the other coach complained and the umpire said I could do it anytime after the first pitch.

Probably the same guy who thinks that if any defender picks up the ball in the circle and throws a warm-up pitch must throw to the first batter :eek:

May 13, 2008
Here is a quick reference for DP/Flex:

The keys to DP/FLEX are:

A. No player can bat in different batting order slots during a game.

B. Making it known before the game with the lineup and being sure all changes are reported to and tracked by the PU.

C. Knowing the provisions:

1. DP starts on offense, FLEX starts on defense
2. If not in starting “function”, not in game
3. The DP and FLEX players can't be in the batting order at the same time
4. The FLEX can only bat in the DP slot
5. The DP can play defense at the same time as the FLEX – any position
6. In #5, the player not playing defense still bats​

D. DP/Flex switches change the number of players in the game, but do not change the batting order.

E. DP/FLEX replacing each other are not “substitutions”, but when either leaves the game and returns, that is a reentry.​

Nice summary and short enough to print out and keep with you in case you need it.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We used the DP and Flex this weekend... a great tool. Another question popped up during the Tournament.

At one point the DP went on defense as the pitcher... now when she got on base we used a CR for her. Question is...

Can you use the same girl being the CR throughout the game?

May 13, 2008
Depends on the sanction and any local rules. Typically you use someone not in the game, but it could be the last out made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott