DP/Flex rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The question was asked and answered, but I'm wondering if the starting pitcher in the OP can play a defensive position other than pitcher.

If so, you could sub the relief pitcher into the Flex spot so then she doesn't have to have a pinch hitter take her place.

May 8, 2009
Florida
The answer about the starting pitcher (who would be the DP in this scenario) can play any defensive position. And you could sub the relief pitcher into the flex spot and she would not bat. In this case assuming you don't want to make any substitutions prior to this point, one of the other eight (not DP or Flex) would sit on defense but still bat.

May 27, 2022
When a pitcher is batting for herself and the Flex is a fielder, if the pitcher gets removed and replaced with a PO, is the only option to pinch hit for the PO when she gets up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to have your starting pitcher hit, but the relief pitcher not hit: Here is what you do:
1. Set your starting lineup with starting pitcher as DP and relief pitcher as Flex
2. Right after lineups are accepted, tell the umpire the DP is going to pitch (flex is out of the game)
3. When you want to switch pitchers, re-enter the flex as the pitcher and leave the DP as offense only

With that, your starting pitcher can hit the entire game and the flex uses their re-entry to be the sub pitcher.

easy-peasy (I think)

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
The question was asked and answered, but I'm wondering if the starting pitcher in the OP can play a defensive position other than pitcher.

If so, you could sub the relief pitcher into the Flex spot so then she doesn't have to have a pinch hitter take her place.

The starting pitcher can play other positions but coach chooses not to allow them to do so when removed from the game. Utilizes a player recovering from an injury who cannot play defense as the DP. Therefore, I believe since there’s no other option if the starting pitcher comes out and a pitcher only is entered in the same game, coach doesn’t allow the starting pitcher to bat for herself.

Just trying to understand the rules around substitutions when the DP/Flex is being utilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles