Enquist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
This kid heard somewhere how much tee work the batbusters do so she has been doing a lot on her own. Any kind of bad habbits you should look out for using the tee.

Carl

Careful she doesn't counter rotate/turn her upper torso,chest away back toward the catcher. Since the head tends to turn down to look at the tee, the torso becomes comfortable turned back toward the catcher in a way that would be less likely to happen with the head looking toward the pitcher. That's a common flaw peculiar to the tee.

Jan 24, 2009
"Careful she doesn't counter rotate/turn her upper torso,chest away back toward the catcher. Since the head tends to turn down to look at the tee, the torso becomes comfortable turned back toward the catcher in a way that would be less likely to happen with the head looking toward the pitcher. That's a common flaw peculiar to the tee."

>I have noticed that the same is true for side toss as well--kids tend to want to hit the ball hard and far and will counter rotate to a point which they couldn't do if they were keeping an eye on a ball from the pitcher. I'm always watching for this.

Another flaw peculiar to the tee is that almost all kids have a tendency to move their feet to set up in the same position relative to the tee. Set the tee up inside and the kid moves away from the plate, set up outside and kid moves toward the plate with the net effect of having all swings the same and the ball hitting the sweet spot. I find that this must be policed very closely when working on inside/outside or hitting a sub-optimal pitch location off a tee. I'm finding I really like using a double tee for swings at balls that aren't right down the pipe. The double tee keeps kids feet honest since they have to set up to be able to hit either ball.

VW

May 7, 2008
DFW
Redzuk

As I recall and this has been many years ago, both Enquist and Candrea had a more linear approach to hitting the ball with the hands instead of the core of the body. (A connected swing) In other words take your hands to the ball and swing down on it. They taught this method for many years. That is the primary change in my opinion.

They have since revised their thoughts on it in the right view material as Mark has stated.

Dana

May 12, 2008
Which is to say kudos to Don Slaught for convincing them the MLB swing is the fp swing. A good, or at least better starting point. A big step forward for the sport. Not that I think there aren't problems with Right View but it beats heck out of what was common instruction in fp ten years ago.

Sep 10, 2009
The videos are advanced drills vol 3 and Common Hitting Problems and their Solutions. Most of the drills dont deal much with how to turn the hips, weight shift, swing planes, elbow position, etc. Though if the player watches the videos then they are going to see all that stuff.

IN watching these videos I see the demonstration hitters all have downward, short swings. They all seem to have their own unique way to accommodate the swing and position themselves to make it happen. Along the same thought path i was thinking that you can give a few simple drills and the batter will figure out the details.

Hand position at contact looks the same in everything i look at.

linear / rotational is beyond me. IN the link Mark posted to siggy's clips i dont why you would call anything in Bustos swing linear. Watching how the hitters hips move in the clips all seem sort of unique.

Carl

May 12, 2008
The videos are advanced drills vol 3 and Common Hitting Problems and their Solutions. Most of the drills dont deal much with how to turn the hips, weight shift, swing planes, elbow position, etc. Though if the player watches the videos then they are going to see all that stuff.

IN watching these videos I see the demonstration hitters all have downward, short swings.

Could you expand on this?

linear / rotational is beyond me. IN the link Mark posted to siggy's clips i dont why you would call anything in Bustos swing linear.

Right View offers that the stride portion of a swing is "linear". Well, sort of. There is pelvic rotation going on during the stride of a great swing but that's not what annoys me. The term rotational and linear have always referred to what happens after heel drop. So Right View redefined at least three terms that come to mind. Those being linear, rotational and connection. Seems to me this sort of redefining terms just confuses. That being said, again, thank you Don Slaught for getting Mike and Sue on tape saying the MLB swing is the fp swing.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
interesting........ and agree, and ALTHOUGH I have the RVP SW and after meeting Don S and talking with him a couple times, as well as attending U of A clinics in Arizona for 5 years...... and again AGREE with the MLB swing mechanics for softball........ I always found it amazing that Sue Enquist CHANGED AFTER PROVING her batting mechincs worked from 40' as she batted career .401 batting average!(yeah - I know the game changes, but I think if I batted .401 from 40'....... I;d believe what I did works!!!

May 12, 2008
Anyone have a game clip of her? Don't assume her game swing matches what she taught. Elite athletes often feel like they do something different than they really do. For instance, Dot's teaching video didn't match what I see in her game clips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877