Enquist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2009
Apparently everything except that which she said she did wrong.
Funny, why so relentless against Enquist? So basically she's better than most even when shes wrong.

I have an open mind and a lot of respect for real life achievement.

Carl

May 12, 2008
Funny, why so relentless against Enquist? So basically she's better than most even when shes wrong.

Relentless against? I just said she apparently did everything right except the one area she herself said she was wrong in. How much more of a positive review can I give? Seriously, are you reading what I wrote?

I have an open mind

Apparently so did she and Mike judging by their reaction to what Don Slaught of Right View showed them.

and a lot of respect for real life achievement.

Carl

Yeah, exactly. That's why I said she apparently did everything else right except that which she herself said she was wrong about. Where am I failing to communicate here?

Sep 10, 2009
Where am I failing to communicate here?

Lets find out. However wrong she was her players had to have hit very well. I'm not sure if your saying she achieved what she did with lousy hitting or if the lousy hitting was less lousy than the competition.

Carl

May 12, 2008
I'm saying I assume she knows more now than she did before. Experience does that. I'm further saying I think she was neither lying nor incorrect when she said, due to study of video of hitters, she now knows more about what good hitters do than she used to know and that she was wrong before and right now. What about that is difficult to follow? I agree with Sue. Do you disagree with Sue?

Sep 10, 2009
Yes I agree with Sue, she found something she was doing wrong, she didnt say forget everything i ever said about teaching a player to hit a ball. I think she was still coaching when she came out and said that. I want to know what she was doing when she was winning and developing hitters as a coach. Thats why i posted here to begin with, I wanted to know more specifically what she thought she was wrong about.

I listed 8 drills I got from her old videos, I have no problem giving those to a young hitter. I think those few simple drills can give a hitter a solid foundation. Telling them exactly how and when to shift their weight, i dont think i can. I'm not sure anybody can teach that.

My niece is hitting well, around 400. She always has, without much coaching. Her team is 0-8 and they've been outscored about 60-10. They are decent athletes, its pretty clear to me they just need some more drills - more repetitions swinging the bat.

Carl

May 12, 2008
Lets find out. However wrong she was her players had to have hit very well. I'm not sure if your saying she achieved what she did with lousy hitting or if the lousy hitting was less lousy than the competition.

Carl

She answered this herself when she said, as you quoted:

I read somewhere that after many hours looking at tapes of all her best batters she noticed they did something in common regardless of what she taught.

Great athletes have a physical movement genius that allows them to figure out what needs to be done regardless of what they are taught. Not so much referring to Sue here but to everyone. ML hitters got taught all kinds of stuff growing up and yet they were able to figure out what they needed to do to succeed.

So she made a statement that she had been teaching hitting wrong and gave a power point presentation that showed what the best hitters did and how it was different than what she taught, id sure like to see that power point.

I'd suggest you purchase the Right View materials and hear her take on it there complete with demonstrations.

I'm not coaching the team, looking for some drills for a niece. All they do in practice is hit off of a machine some. Its varsity and thats enough at this level. But i dont really want to give her any advice or fill her head up with rotational vs linear kind of stuff.

Good call.

From Enquist dvd's, I like
1. hitting off a tee with a short barrel bat. focus on contact front inside of ball- inside pitch
2. side toss where the hitter coils when tosser drops hand
3. side toss bouncing a tennis ball at the hitter
4. hit off tee with scarf under front arm
5. down on a knee, one arm swing off short tee.
6. practice swings to contact point, palm up / palm down. knuckles forward. knowing contact point.
7. practice a half swing, snapping hips open keeping some bend in front elbow and hands back by armpits. hips leading shoulders.
8. self toss. player tosses to back outside of of plate.

A lot of the other drills look interesting but i can see potential negative effects. I dont see anything bad about those above. Just getting more swings in I think will help. She likes to go out and hit off a tee, this would give her something to focus on.

Carl

Any drill can be perverted. The understanding of the goal is the key.

To sum up, no question Sue is a great coach. Just look at the struggle to replicate her success at UCLA without her. Having said that, a large part of her success, and Mike's, was they pretty much picked who they wanted before everyone else for years. Success feeds on success. Not a knock on them at all. It's what they were supposed to do. To me, her hitting genius is the mental side of hitting. The adjustments and anticipation of the other teams' adjustments.

Sep 10, 2009
I'd suggest you purchase the Right View materials and hear her take on it there complete with demonstrations.
Does she talk about it? I'd like to check it out sometime for my own curiosity. Its 95 lessons, a lot more than a few basic drills i'm looking for.

Her unique perspective as a coach at the time of the 2003 videos is the reason i'm using them. Always different than looking back and thinking wudda cudda shouda.

Carl

Sep 10, 2009
drills i mentioned
1. hitting off a tee with a short barrel bat. focus on contact front inside of ball- inside pitch
2. side toss where the hitter coils when tosser drops hand
3. side toss bouncing a tennis ball at the hitter
4. hit off tee with scarf under front arm
5. down on a knee, one arm swing off short tee.
6. practice swings to contact point, palm up / palm down. knuckles forward. knowing contact point.
7. practice a half swing, snapping hips open keeping some bend in front elbow and hands back by armpits. hips leading shoulders.
8. self toss. player tosses to back outside of of plate.

objectives;
from #1. Short bat is easier to handle and she claimed it somehow forced the player to have good timing, I dont see exactly how but i'll take her word for it. Also to show where to contact inside pitch.
#2. getting hitter in habit of making the negative movement
#3. timing
#4. to keep bend in front elbow, keeping the hand inside path of ball. And Enquist said that doing this will forces a strong back wrist.
#5 bat speed. short swing. unload elbow then wrist into contact not before.
#6 Awareness of contact position. Pretty sure the niece has no clue - consciously anyway.
#7 As hard as i tried not to, I see I added my own 2 cents here. Enquist said nothing about seperation, this drill was for keeping bent front arm and not casting out. I noticed the player who demonstrated it was keeping her hands back and getting some seperation between hips and shoulders. So forget hips leading shoulders.
#8 How you need stay back, especially on outside pitch.

This kid heard somewhere how much tee work the batbusters do so she has been doing a lot on her own. Any kind of bad habbits you should look out for using the tee. Enquist talked a lot about picturing the pitcher and the ball leaving her hand, and making every swing a quality swing.

Carl

May 12, 2008
Does she talk about it? I'd like to check it out sometime for my own curiosity. Its 95 lessons, a lot more than a few basic drills i'm looking for.

Her unique perspective as a coach at the time of the 2003 videos is the reason i'm using them. Always different than looking back and thinking wudda cudda shouda.

Carl

She and Mike present their current views on hitting on the Right View materials. A lot of people have changed their views on hitting over the last ten years as video became so readily available on the net.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1