Questions about recruiting & live-streaming

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
My DD is a 2023. She would like to play college ball and of course she has some D1 schools on her wish list. She is not totally convinced on what she wants to do when she grows up but she has talked about physical therapy. If that’s the case she can probably go pretty much anywhere for her undergraduate work because she will need to move on to a PT program after graduating.

Last fall and this winter she attended some camps in our area. Both D3 and D1. She loved Liberty, FYI, and was one of just a handful in her group that hit it over their 220 fences. Haley, dd, has a big bat with good batting success in her past. Every season she has averaged over .400 and last season she had 16 HR.

The issue is, the team she is on isn’t good. We moved halfway across the country to our area in August and tryouts had already started here so we didn’t have a lot of time to do much. She attended 4 tryouts and was offered positions on all teams. We let her make the decision and she chose a newly formed team close to home with a non-parent coach who is a successful high school coach in the area. We love him and he is doing great things for Haley on the defensive side of the ball. She was a 1st baseman and he has moved her to SS - which I think makes her a stronger player but on the flip side, we notice he has taken a lot of girls that are “projects” for a lack of a better term. Girls with potential but so far in the fall it was ugly. Like run rule ugly.

Dang this is long...... anyway, with the dark period and the Pandemic she can’t attend the camps she would want to. Her HS team had a very good chance at going to state but now that is gone, and her travel team isn’t good so coaches will likely not watch IF they ever get to play here..... but I want to give her opportunities to be seen while we finish this summer with her team (moving teams is not an option). We are working on a skills video to send out. One nice thing about her team’s org is that they are 30 years established in the area and have had players move to D1 programs across the country. They also have a good presence locally with smaller schools. So we can get help getting her name out through the org. I’m wondering if after that is it worth it to livestream any of her games? With her hitting early in the lineup she usually gets 2 AB and of course she plays defense a lot (this is a 16u team with 14/15 players though) so she does sit every once in a while. This is new to us and I want to help guide this process without paying any service hopefully.

Thanks for reading my novel, lol. FWIW we realize the need to find a better team for more exposure next season, we just don’t believe in leaving in the middle of a season, although a few of her teammates did after our very difficult fall.......

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I will leave your questions to the other experts in the forum, but I will mention some things regarding Physical Therapy as that is my daughter's choice as well.

During the recruiting process she researched 50 plus schools. When she realized that PT was her goal, it narrowed the search dramatically. She had a geographical goal in mind (wanted to be within a 3 hour drive of home) and a campus size (small to mid-size). They had to have a strong medical program as well. As she started to visit individual campuses we learned that some schools offered "guaranteed seats" into their PT graduate program for a select number of students. The schools that do offer these seats are often difficult to get into for those on the outside. For example, one of our neighbors graduated from a local D2 with a degree in Exercise Science. Her goal was to move on to DPT. Even with a 4.0 average, she ended up going to her 4th choice because each of the top 3 were already filled with their own guaranteed students. No additional seats were available. It worked out for her in the long run as she just graduated with her doctorate a couple of weeks ago, but finding a graduate program became extremely stressful for her and her parents at the time.

In Meghan's case (my DD), she narrowed the search to 3 schools. Each of them offered her a guaranteed seat. She then scheduled another round of visits at each school along with meetings with each coach. Ultimately she made her selection and she has been extremely happy with her choice. Ultimately her choice came down to 3 factors; academic program, campus feel, and softball. In that order. She loves softball, but academics were/are her primary focus. Your daughter may have different goals, and that is perfectly fine.

Best of luck. I'm sure you get great advice from others in the forum.

Apr 28, 2014
I would highly recommend live streaming any games that you can. I know some people say video clips sent to coaches are better but I disagree. Yes video clips are good, but coaches come to see games so they can watch more than just a swing or a play. Live streams are unpredictable and allow the coach to see how the girls respond to adversity and how they play without a coach looking over their shoulder.
Very valuable IMO

Aug 6, 2013
I will leave your questions to the other experts in the forum, but I will mention some things regarding Physical Therapy as that is my daughter's choice as well.

In Meghan's case (my DD), she narrowed the search to 3 schools. Each of them offered her a guaranteed seat. She then scheduled another round of visits at each school along with meetings with each coach. Ultimately she made her selection and she has been extremely happy with her choice. Ultimately her choice came down to 3 factors; academic program, campus feel, and softball. In that order. She loves softball, but academics were/are her primary focus. Your daughter may have different goals, and that is perfectly fine.

Best of luck. I'm sure you get great advice from others in the forum.
Thank you. This is great information to have. We are in SE VA so geographically you aren’t terribly far. If you don’t mind me asking, what schools did Meghan have narrowed down? Since Haley hasn’t been too sure on her future yet this is just brand new to us. Softball has been her life but I’m trying to make her start thinking about her future. Being a freshman it is hard to start thinking like that, lol.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
#1 Priority
Creating her player bio with short video clips 60 to 120 seconds.
Attach letters of recomendation.
Apply specific verbage to each college! Atleast in first small paragraph.
As to make it personal,
not a form letter.

Additionally call schools giving name and interest to hopefully connect with their radar.

Have been told by several D1 coaches that even using snail mail put players names in front of them!
Add a picture!

Best of Luck!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you. This is great information to have. We are in SE VA so geographically you aren’t terribly far. If you don’t mind me asking, what schools did Meghan have narrowed down? Since Haley hasn’t been too sure on her future yet this is just brand new to us. Softball has been her life but I’m trying to make her start thinking about her future. Being a freshman it is hard to start thinking like that, lol.

PM coming your way... There are a lot of things to take into consideration, and everyone's decision is unique.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
#1 Priority
Creating her player bio with short video clips 60 to 120 seconds.
Attach letters of recomendation.
Apply specific verbage to each college! Atleast in first small paragraph.
As to make it personal,
not a form letter.

Additionally call schools giving name and interest to hopefully connect with their radar.

Have been told by several D1 coaches that even using snail mail put players names in front of them!
Add a picture!

Best of Luck!

To set herself apart, DD sent post cards to her top choices. One was a picture that we took at an ID camp at that school. It was a picture of her and a couple of other players from the college team. We had it turned into a post card at WalMart. She put a personal note on the back to the head coach. When we visited this coach, we saw the post card hanging on her bulletin board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi