Elite Travel Team and Elite Travel Price

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My daughter is interested in trying out for a local "Elite" travel team. Her goal is to play softball in college. Her past team had a fee of around $500. I'm told to expect to pay twice that (if not more) if she's accepted to an elite team. (Tavel & hotel costs not included.)

My question is, "Is this worth it?"
Is this the only way to get college exposure? This new team goes to college showcase and national tourneys. Her previous team did not.

Jul 9, 2010
Depends on how old she is, where the team goes, and if the colleges that she wants to go to attend the same tournaments that the team attends.

Also - what does "Elite" really mean? I haev seen lots of "Elite" teams, so that even had it emblazoned on their jerseys so you couldn't miss it, that could only stay on the field for 3 or 4 innings against decent teams.

You have to decide if the hype is bigger than the results.

Many colleges now have a roster of showcase tourneys that they *MAY* attend on their recruiting form on their website. You can also contact them, and ask them where they plan to be this summer.

Also, if she is not on the "Elite" team, does her current team do any showcase tourneys?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
This is my opinion:

Your DD is 12 according to past posts so there will be no college coaches watching her on the field unless one just happens to be there. At this point in her development she should play on the best team that she can make the roster, she should be learning right now.

It kills me to see 12U teams spouting off that they are "Elite" or "Gold" and charge a pile of money for the name.

There is no recruiting at 12U. There is no recruiting at 14U unless your DD is going to camps to meet coaches or she is at 14U Nationals and her team is playing on championship day.

Do your research and find a team where daddy ball is at a minimum, the coaches know what they are doing, practices are intense and productive and the parents are mostly happy.

She will be a Freshman this year. She hasn't really made any decisions regarding what colleges she'd like to attend.

From what I've heard, this s a very competitive team.
Here is their fall schedule.
October 2 & 3 Bluechip Showcase, NJ
October 8-10 TCS Rising Stars, NJ
October 16 & 17 Outlaws Fall Showcase, NJ
October 21 -24 TCS Rising Stars, FL
October 30 & 31 TNT Last Look College Showcase, PA

Her current team does not attend any showcase tourneys.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK, Mustard. Go for it. She does need to start getting the experience, if not the exposure, now. It is too bad that it is occurring so young, but it is what it is.

Mar 13, 2010
Mustard if this team can do WELL at those types of tournaments (and I would be asking for results before signing up for a $1000+ team) then if you're willing to pay the money, it's not a bad idea. (14 is freshman right? We start high school here at 12) She'll be paying the top teams and getting the experience.

But be honest. Is she good enough to not only make the team, but to get playing time?

Sep 3, 2009
Our team this past season was an organization that had two teams in each age group. Had their own indoor/outdoor facility, etc. Fees were 1200 for the year. The team my dd made this year is definitely an elite organization, nationally known, and their fees are only 600, with two mandatory fundraisers that everyone participates in. You really have to see what you're getting for the money. In general, the amount of the fees really doesn't have any bearing on the level of play.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Mustard: There is never enough on my pretzel or hot dog !

Anyway; the events you listed are really good, especially if a 14 y/o will be getting playing time. I've been to the NJ ones to watch my niece play (Valley Forge Patriots) and DD will play in these beginning next year (she is also going to be a freshman but her 14 U team is not at a level to play in these events.

Best of luck to DD and you. What organization is DD with?

Mar 27, 2010
When you speak of fees are the fees just to have the chance to play on that team and pay for instruction? Do those fees include the cost of tournaments? I know that the teams my daughter has played on you just pay for the uniforms and the costs of tournaments.

Thanks for the responses.
We're going to tryouts for at least 3 different teams. Each of them seem to be very competitive and each have excellent 16u teams too. This may be where she ends up. Which I'm fine with. I want her to get playing time at a more competitive level.
Last night they had the girls broken down into groups. I didn’t see anyone in her group who was head and shoulders better. I think she had a nice showing.
We’ve only gone to the one try out so far. It seems their fees include instruction and tournaments. From what I’ve heard from friends one of the other teams we’re looking at includes 2 plane fares in their fees. So obviously more.
We’re not worried about getting a scholarship to UCLA or Arizona. I just want to get her to the next level of competition and go from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06