Elbow snap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
There was a discussion in another thread about “elbow snap”. How would you explain this to a pitcher? What verbal cues would you use to improve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
When I first started to learn how to pitch (so I could help my DD), I was snapping my elbow and the elbow quickly got sore.

Because of my limited experience, I feel like the phrase is ...dangerous, unless you really know how to coach pitching. The snap should happen naturally. I think focusing on IR and brush (See stickies: IR in the Classroom and the Brush) should be where to focus.

I am just a dad, so this and $2.95 gets you a coffee at Starbucks.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
There was a discussion in another thread about “elbow snap”. How would you explain this to a pitcher? What verbal cues would you use to improve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You raise a great question for sure. It is best answered by the master @Hillhouse and I am sure he will respond as he always does. Bill, the floor is yours and everyone get ready for some great stuff!

BLB

May 19, 2008
Put a tennis racket in her hand. Have her try simulating the 9 o'clock drill. See how much swish she can create. Have her try it with a straight arm & without leading with the butt of the racket (palm down). No sound of any swish. Have her try to explain why the difference, why she can create whip using proper arm/elbow action. Start from there. I'm sure there are many ways for her to discover how arm whip at the elbow is generated & how the elbow movement pattern plays a major role in creating arm whip.

Aug 21, 2008
You raise a great question for sure. It is best answered by the master @Hillhouse and I am sure he will respond as he always does. Bill, the floor is yours and everyone get ready for some great stuff!

Wow, the master? My cholesterol is already high, don't butter my a$$. :)

I'm not sure what part is confusing, and no I'm not trying to be funny. Just think of how a pitcher throws a ball overhand, and flip it upside down. Elbow, wrist, then fingers snap or whip in that sequence. Similar to how your arm would "snap or whip" if you skipped stones across a pond. Does that help or make sense?

Cnardone.... I'd be curious to have seen what your snap/whip looks like to find out why it hurt you. It shouldn't hurt. I wonder what's up with that?

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Wow, the master? My cholesterol is already high, don't butter my a$$. :)

I'm not sure what part is confusing, and no I'm not trying to be funny. Just think of how a pitcher throws a ball overhand, and flip it upside down. Elbow, wrist, then fingers snap or whip in that sequence. Similar to how your arm would "snap or whip" if you skipped stones across a pond. Does that help or make sense?

Cnardone.... I'd be curious to have seen what your snap/whip looks like to find out why it hurt you. It shouldn't hurt. I wonder what's up with that?
Not only do I always appreciate the pitching wisdom from @Hillhouse but the humor is the icing on the cake. Cracking me up as always Bill!!!

Here is a compilation that FFS put together awhile back from the MASTER @Hillhouse regarding elbow snap. Hope this might help some.... and yes, when it comes to "elbow snap" below is why you are the Master :LOL::LOL: Nobody talks elbow snap like you do.

Here is the original post:

Below is from the post:

FFS posted the following:

Bill Hillhouse has written frequently of the arm whipping from the elbow, to fingers.

"The magic happens when you stop TRYING to make it drop and whip it like you're throwing as hard as possible with the right release point."

"too much emphasis is put on the wrist which eliminates the Elbow snap. If the elbow is trained to SNAP (as it does for an overhand pitcher) then the wrist will also snap."

"But a lot of girls are not taught to use their elbow to whip, which helps the wrist to snap naturally, and the fingers to generate the spin."

"To get more spin, make sure the elbow, wrist AND fingers all working in sequence."

"It's just about getting her body to work correctly, the way it's designed to achieve the most from it. That includes the whip needed from the elbow, wrist and fingers."

"The main thing that is needed for the movement, which I did elaborate in the DVD is the elbow whip."

"It's not about going across to the other side with the arm, it's about making sure the elbow snaps or whips just as it does when you throw a ball overhand."

"The way our bodies are designed and move kinetically, if she's snapping the elbow... the wrist and fingers are going to snap forward in sequence."

"snap through the pitch (elbow, wrist and fingers in that order)."

"the more she loosens her elbow and whips across her body, the more RPM's you'll see"

"If you work on the elbow whip or snap, then by the way your body is designed, the wrist is going to whip or snap too. So, work the elbow."

"I'm a big believer that the elbow whip is the key to additional spin and movement, and to achieve top speed."

"concentrate on whipping your elbow as hard as you can.... just as a baseball player whips his elbow when throwing a FB overhand."

"Most of all, a good elbow whip will provide the kinetic chain to give max rotation. Elbow, wrist and fingers... in that order. The more one whips the elbow, the wrist and fingers HAVE to follow by the way the body functions. So don't concentrate on the wrist, don't concentrate on the fingers. DO concentrate on the elbow."

"I tell people to concentrate on the whip or snap (choose your word) of your elbow (same as a baseball pitcher would describe) and the results will happen almost instantly"

"All I can tell you is, the way I teach things and the way I do it myself is more about trying to whip my elbow."

"One of the basic core beliefs I instruct is to have as much of a whip/snap of my elbow at the release of the ball. I believe the elbow to be one of the biggest keys to the pitch: regardless of the pitch being thrown."

Sep 19, 2018

Luckily, it does not hurt when I throw anymore. I knew I was doing something wrong when I felt the ache. I starting thinking more loose and whippy. I think I was trying to force the snap instead of letting it happen naturally. But I can't describe what I was actually doing when 'forcing the snap". Unfortunately, I have not have the need to throw in a long while. I miss even throwing BP.

Aug 21, 2008
Not only do I always appreciate the pitching wisdom from @Hillhouse but the humor is the icing on the cake. Cracking me up as always Bill!!!

Here is a compilation that FFS put together awhile back from the MASTER @Hillhouse regarding elbow snap. Hope this might help some.... and yes, when it comes to "elbow snap" below is why you are the Master :LOL::LOL: Nobody talks elbow snap like you do.

Here is the original post:

Below is from the post:

FFS posted the following:

Bill Hillhouse has written frequently of the arm whipping from the elbow, to fingers.

"The magic happens when you stop TRYING to make it drop and whip it like you're throwing as hard as possible with the right release point."

"too much emphasis is put on the wrist which eliminates the Elbow snap. If the elbow is trained to SNAP (as it does for an overhand pitcher) then the wrist will also snap."

"But a lot of girls are not taught to use their elbow to whip, which helps the wrist to snap naturally, and the fingers to generate the spin."

"To get more spin, make sure the elbow, wrist AND fingers all working in sequence."

"It's just about getting her body to work correctly, the way it's designed to achieve the most from it. That includes the whip needed from the elbow, wrist and fingers."

"The main thing that is needed for the movement, which I did elaborate in the DVD is the elbow whip."

"It's not about going across to the other side with the arm, it's about making sure the elbow snaps or whips just as it does when you throw a ball overhand."

"The way our bodies are designed and move kinetically, if she's snapping the elbow... the wrist and fingers are going to snap forward in sequence."

"snap through the pitch (elbow, wrist and fingers in that order)."

"the more she loosens her elbow and whips across her body, the more RPM's you'll see"

"If you work on the elbow whip or snap, then by the way your body is designed, the wrist is going to whip or snap too. So, work the elbow."

"I'm a big believer that the elbow whip is the key to additional spin and movement, and to achieve top speed."

"concentrate on whipping your elbow as hard as you can.... just as a baseball player whips his elbow when throwing a FB overhand."

"Most of all, a good elbow whip will provide the kinetic chain to give max rotation. Elbow, wrist and fingers... in that order. The more one whips the elbow, the wrist and fingers HAVE to follow by the way the body functions. So don't concentrate on the wrist, don't concentrate on the fingers. DO concentrate on the elbow."

"I tell people to concentrate on the whip or snap (choose your word) of your elbow (same as a baseball pitcher would describe) and the results will happen almost instantly"

"All I can tell you is, the way I teach things and the way I do it myself is more about trying to whip my elbow."

"One of the basic core beliefs I instruct is to have as much of a whip/snap of my elbow at the release of the ball. I believe the elbow to be one of the biggest keys to the pitch: regardless of the pitch being thrown."

I have to agree with everything quoted here, what a smart, articulate post. I bet the guy who wrote that is handsome too, \

Oct 4, 2018
First you buy a bull whip, then...

Hah, we have goofed around with the dish towel in the kitchen to emulate the snap.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It is hard to get a young lady to understand snap when they have been taught the locked elbow windmill movement for a couple of years. But the dish towel is an interesting idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06