Educated hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Palm-up/palm-down is the result. Hitters hands are working from radial/ulnar deviation when whipping the barrel "down to" the ball.

5xobqNN.jpg

wgzJTzv.png

I think top hand wrist extension is in there as well. Keeps the barrel up or through the ball. Hence Palm up. Take a look at Pujols ‘feel’. Too much radial is bad for a swing imo. Creates wrap and wrist angles you can’t quite come back from. More is not always better. I would say 90% of elites have that top hand wrist extended earlier than later.

1692802023772.gif

Edit: wrist extension kills some radial deviation. Pujols is w prime example:

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I think top hand wrist extension is in there as well. Keeps the barrel up or through the ball. Hence Palm up. Take a look at Pujols ‘feel’. Too much radial is bad for a swing imo. Creates wrap and wrist angles you can’t quite come back from. More is not always better. I would say 90% of elites have that top hand wrist extended earlier than later.

View attachment 28619

Yea, I am not arguing against some top hand extension.

xoXdWDe.gif

wgzJTzv.png

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My main tiff is that the hands are along for the ride. That’s not the case in elite swings at all. They’re first in action. Yes everything ‘turns or stretches’. But hasn’t been released or contracted. Elites are trying to stay square and use that ‘turn’ to help slingshot the chest/arms/hands/bat. Not turn to drag it around and behind them. I think we’re on the same page CB.
Perhaps I am confusing you as to what I believe and I am glad that you think we are on the same page. We are. Also, bat drag is the result of doing all of this stuff wrong. I think that it is important for my hitters to understand the difference between drag and lag. In lag, the hand/connection is placing the bat at a point in the swing as the "rip" is just about to start. IOWs a pass-through that happens quickly. In drag, the barrel drops and the hands push.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks for the great discussion. It has been a while since I have jumped into a hitting thread. I'm off to golf. The heat index for us today is 117-120. Tts been the same all week and I have golfed a minimum of 18 holes each day. Again, I appreciate the discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes