Earned run ???????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I need help on scoring a really strange play. Played in a weekend showcase and had the bad luck to draw a field that didn't have a fence.
First batter up hits a line drive that was a legitimate single in the 5-6 hole. The left fielder lets the ball go between her legs. Long story
short, home run. How do your score this as to earned run ?

It's a single + an error.

Whether it is earned depends on other events in the inning. For example, if this were the leadoff batter, and the next batter hits a home run, then it is earned because the leadoff batter still would've scored with perfect fielding. If this were the leadoff batter and the next three runners strike out, then it is unearned because with perfect fielding, the runner would've been stranded.

Sep 30, 2013
And with it's the PITCHER making the error???

FWIW, over the years I’ve had lots of players, parents, and believe it or not coaches who somehow don’t get that a pitcher’s error isn’t counted against him/her for ER purposes. Unfortunately, like it or not, the rules are the rules. What I did several years ago to try to give some perspective to a pitcher’s fielding, was to do a metric called Pitcher Mistakes”. See =====> View attachment whipplus1.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi