Earned run ???????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
A little caveat, assuming there’s a pitching change between HR’s #2-#5, the HR’s allowed by the RP would be earned to the RP and unearned to the team.
True, the relief pitcher does not get a break for errors that occurred prior to their entry. Consequently, the team's ER may not be the same as the total of the pitchers. Same for Runs since runners placed on base for ITB are only charged as an unearned run to the team, not to a pitcher.

A couple of other fine points when a BR reaches base via FC:
- If an inherited runner is put out on the play, the new runner becomes the responsibility of the pitcher for the retired runner.
- If a runner is put out on the play that reached base on an error, the new runner will be an unearned run if they score.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2012
The problem is how errors are scored. I have been on a team where one of the pitchers dads would score a line drive into the gap as an error.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Basically, an error is determining earned runs is considered an out. For example, first runner reaches base on error (this is one out for ER purposes). Next two hitters strike out. Now no matter what happens there will be no earned runs that inning. So, the next five hitters can hit HRs and there will runs given up but no earned runs.

Now let's say a hitter leads off with a triple. Next two hitters strike out. Then a passed ball allows the runner to score. Then a strike out. This again would be no earned runs.

Let's take the same example above with the first batter hitting a triple. Now instead of a passed ball it's a wild pitch. This would result in an earned run.

I know that this does not cover every circumstance but, I hope, that it is a good start.

Is this correct? I might be wrong, let me say again I might be wrong, but in this scenario the runner that reached on the error would be unearned if they scored. The next five hitters that hit HR after the 2 K's are all earned runs. I think the only way that scenario is correct is if the error is committed on what would have been the third out of the inning, then no more runs in that inning can be earned. This is due to the assumption that the error would have been the 3rd out and the inning would have been over. In the above scenario the error would have been the 1st out of the inning, not the 3rd. HR are earned at that point. OR am I wrong. Is it assumed that any runs after an error are unearned due to the assumption that there would have been an out regardless of when the error occurred. I am a BIG STATS guy help me get it right everyone. I agree that dad stats SUCK. I give numbers to College Coaches when they are recruiting I want them to be correct as possible. If this is the case my ERA's might be a bit high...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Is this correct? I might be wrong, let me say again I might be wrong, but in this scenario the runner that reached on the error would be unearned if they scored. The next five hitters that hit HR after the 2 K's are all earned runs. I think the only way that scenario is correct is if the error is committed on what would have been the third out of the inning, then no more runs in that inning can be earned. This is due to the assumption that the error would have been the 3rd out and the inning would have been over. In the above scenario the error would have been the 1st out of the inning, not the 3rd. HR are earned at that point. OR am I wrong. Is it assumed that any runs after an error are unearned due to the assumption that there would have been an out regardless of when the error occurred. I am a BIG STATS guy help me get it right everyone. I agree that dad stats SUCK. I give numbers to College Coaches when they are recruiting I want them to be correct as possible. If this is the case my ERA's might be a bit high...

Doesn't matter when the error occurred. So ...

E-6
K
K
HR
HR
HR
HR
HR
HR

Would = 0 earned runs.

This kinda makes me laugh because I have a friend whose daughter pitched this fall on a weak defensive high school team. He really touts her ERA, as if that's the bottom line. It's around 3.50, but she's allowed something like 60 runs (only 32 earned). If you play on a team that makes lots of errors, then WHIP might be your better stat.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I had a game last month where my 3rd baseman made a throwing error with two out. This loaded up the bases. Next girls crushes one out of the park. 4 unearned runs. Either way, we were down 4-0 at that point.

Last weekend, girl gets on by a fielding error. Next girl sac bunts and my 2nd baseman miffed the catch. Third girl hits into a 4-3 put out. The team went on to score 5 runs. None earned.

Yes, I have some defensive work to do with this group in the off season.

Mar 26, 2013
We just plug the info into iScore and let it calculate the runs - earned or unearned, for us.....
IScore appears to do an excellent job of calculating earned runs as long as the advancement of all runners is entered correctly. I provided various test cases that I've seen mishandled to someone and it only failed on one with a combination of FC and pitching change. They reported it a while ago, so it's likely fixed in the current version.

I've seen numerous errors in GameChanger and others used by NCAA teams.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
I need help on scoring a really strange play. Played in a weekend showcase and had the bad luck to draw a field that didn't have a fence.
First batter up hits a line drive that was a legitimate single in the 5-6 hole. The left fielder lets the ball go between her legs. Long story
short, home run. How do your score this as to earned run ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi