Dumbing Down Rules for rec ball; does it equalize teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Shoot if it's 6-8-10u rec league and you've got 12 players, stick 6 in the outfield. You can have short fielders and outfielders. At that age they HATE outfield, with 1/2 the team out there, they'll have more fun, playing time and more chances to make plays and improve. At all-stars--back to the "9".
Everyone on the line-up.
Also my beef is 10u umpires--make the strike zone a "hittable" pitch. Too many coaches won't let hitters swing till they have 2 strikes. Walkathons don't help develop the girls.

12u should be back to normal rules.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Dumbing down rules only dumbs down the level of play, and the players. Period

It makes poor players feel better about themselves, and makes parents feel better about their kids.

It accomplishes nothing, except making it more"fun" for weaker players and weaker teams.

That does have a place in rec ball,which is by definition about having fun first. It is only harmful to players or teams that aspire to be competitive.

Does it equlize teams? I dont think so. I think it just prolongs the agony of mismatched games. The way to equalize teams in rec leagues is with a closely controlled tryout/draft system that distributes talent among teams evenly. Of course that assumes that coaching ability is also evenly distributed , which is also seldom the case. Theres always some teams that want to work harder, be better , and WIN , than others. Why is it some want to discourage this?

Why not just make is simple and just dont keep score?

Last edited:
Prime example...my dd had, at that point, played rec ball for 3 seasons. She got on the varsity softball team. Coach was using her as a runner while the A team was hitting. She knew ziltch about the "real rules" of softball and it was a HOT MESS for her. The coach screamed and screamed, "What? Why did you do that? Do you not know the rules? Drop." Drop meaning crunches and push ups until you break. DD was not going to tell the coach she didn't really know the rules - took the chewings, did her time and never forgot those rules again.

Rec ball is fun, but should also teach the fundamental rules so when they get to a higher level of play (school ball), they will be aware! :)

Oct 28, 2009
Prime example...my dd had, at that point, played rec ball for 3 seasons. She got on the varsity softball team. Coach was using her as a runner while the A team was hitting. She knew ziltch about the "real rules" of softball and it was a HOT MESS for her. The coach screamed and screamed, "What? Why did you do that? Do you not know the rules? Drop." Drop meaning crunches and push ups until you break. DD was not going to tell the coach she didn't really know the rules - took the chewings, did her time and never forgot those rules again.

Rec ball is fun, but should also teach the fundamental rules so when they get to a higher level of play (school ball), they will be aware! :)

Coach Tom provided a good example of rule "escalation." At 14U, the Rec rules should be much like those of NFHS or tournament ball.
I doubt that anyone would make the argument that the rules should be so foreign that a high school player will not able to properly function as a mere runner.

And addressing the earlier question of who wants to discourage hard work, becoming better, and trying to win, the answer is easy -- NO ONE. But it doesn't seem that difficult to find a way of setting rules that foster an appreciation for the sport at the younger ages and an understanding of the expectations within the sport at the older age divisions.

Now putting on my hat as a high school coach -- If a player made the varsity softball team as a freshman, despite having an exposure to the sport that is limited to a mere three years of regular season Rec ball and nothing else, I would be certain that the Rec league is doing FAR more good than harm. Teaching a player the rules is certainly less time consuming than teaching a player the proper mechanics for throwing, fielding and hitting.

Last edited:
MVLA - my dd started rec league in 3rd grade. Was in 6th when she started playing with the school. Just a little clarification on my part. The rules were not so much gone over during her rec league - more in teaching the general mechanics of the game. They never really stopped to explain why something was done, and so forth.

Jan 25, 2010
our ball association has a run rule and a time limit that reverts to the last full inning. at 10u, we don't have the dts, but we do have the infield fly rule. the problem with the infield fly rule is that the 14 year old umpire doesn't know how to apply it - but i digress. we can steal any base except home, and can go from first to third on a steal if the opportunity present itself. we bat the roster, and can play between 8 and 10 players on defense. at 12u and up, its high school rules. there was an argument this year re the 43' pitching distance. we don't do that distance until 14u. i think dumbing down some of the rules for the younger girls helps put the emphasis on skills, rather than rules. at 8, 9, and 10 yrs old, many girls get lost in the details of the game if the rules are too complicated.

one of my pet peves with rec ball is the coaching. not enough qualified people are involved. pitching is the perfect example...how many dads know how to windmill? so no time gets spent on pitching in practice. hitting...walk after walk just ruins the game, imo. my girls are instructed to swing at anything hittable, which is basically below your chin, not in the dirt, and your bat will reach it. otherwise we'd never get a hit. not knocking daddy coaches - i'm one of them - but not enough dads educate themselves enough on the art of softball to give any quality instruction. for the girl who will never go beyond rec ball, that's fine. but if your daughter is better than the average rec player, at least get on with a decent coach she can learn from.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
That's one of the things that I hate about rec ball and aim to change myself. I've been so blessed, I've always had coaches that understood the game and knew their stuff. Many are even just as obsessed as I am.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I want to thank everyone for their input. Unfortunately I was told rule changes will not be entertained. Since we only have 2 teams we will have to remain in the loose collection of teams from 5 different organizations that is administered by a local town(we are outsiders). I guess this is what happens when political appointees run a rec department. I'll have to work on a more vigorous registration next year. I should be coaching 10u travel next year. I helped start the girls program when my DDs played 20 years ago and I guess I'll have to work to build it up for my DGDs. I would post the rules here, but I can't figure out how to post a PDF!

May 20, 2008
Coach Al,

Maybe you should touch bases with the other organizations and see if they have an interest in changing up the rules and if they do maybe starting up your own league, if the local town won't change. My town and four others did that two years ago when the league we were in was non-responsive to our concerns.

Rantsl...As the Softball Commish for my town, I hear what you are saying about the coaching.. however I think it is incumbent on an organization to help and even lead the daddy coach training. Most daddy (mommy) coaches don't know softball very well if at all so the organization has to meet them half way at least. Most rec organizations struggle to have enough volunteer coaches to be picky about a coaches knowledge base (case in point I have to coach two teams this season). But I think another issue is the lose of knowledge as players age out and the daddy coach who has been coaching 4 or 5 years and just really starting to understand the game a little bit is gone and now you start all over again.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I was a director of our local Rec ball. They dumbed down the rules. No stealing. No running on dropped third strike, No running to home if the ball was thrown wild at third base, no bunting, no sliding. They ruined the sport, so I left. Now these kids come to high school ball and have no idea how to play the game. So I'm 100% against it. Keep it at the coach pitch level, but after that let them learn how to play the game correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06