Travel Ball is Killing Rec Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2019
Anyone wanna refute the statement or tell me I’m wrong? Shame seeing all these sports for kids being ruined by travel teams. It’s not about how good the kids are for the majority of the teams it’s about who’s mommy and daddy can pay. Football is even being ruined at the rec level now since travel football is becoming a thing. It’s stupid. These travel teams aren’t turning kids into college athletes, sorry that’s just the facts. Travel ball can’t put two of the biggest factors on a kid that colleges look at in virtually every sport, size and speed. You can’t coach em or wish em into fruition. Sure there’s some footwork drills to enhance speed or reaction times but you ain’t ever gonna turn a slow kid into a burner. So instead of letting these kids have fun and play rec league every mommy and daddy have these ideas their kid is the next college sensation and has to play travel ball. It’s killing rec league and destroying having kids be multi sport athletes. There’s another big factor for college recruiters. These travel kids are gonna find out come recruiting time the cream rises to the top and there’s nothing mommy and daddy can pay that puts you on a college team. They gonna watch multi sport athletes who only played rec and school ball get recruited and wonder what went wrong. It’s all sports that’s being effected but it’s for sure killing rec softball. There’s more travel teams than rec teams in our town. Can barely get enough girls to make rec teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Anyone wanna refute the statement or tell me I’m wrong?
The thread title, by and large, is a correct statement.

They gonna watch multi sport athletes who only played rec and school ball get recruited and wonder what went wrong.
This is probably very incorrect. Also for it's worth, my 9YO DD plays travel softball and rec basketball.

Mar 21, 2019
The thread title, by and large, is a correct statement.

This is probably very incorrect. Also for it's worth, my 9YO DD plays travel softball and rec basketball.

Lol lotta parents in the coming years gonna find out. Coming from someone who played in college and professionally and played zero travel ball I’ll stand by my statement.

Jun 8, 2016
Coming from someone who played in college and professionally and played zero travel ball I’ll stand by my statement.

Ok and how old are you?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019
The problem (well, one of them) is that many high school coaches are now making decisions based largely on the results of travel ball.

Roster decisions, position decisions, PT and strategy decisions, you name it.

It's supposed to be illegal but it's very common.

Mar 21, 2019
Ok and how old are you?

Mid 30’s there was travel ball when I played but not the ridiculous amount of them as there are now to where it’s hard to even field rec teams.

Mar 21, 2019
The problem (well, one of them) is that many high school coaches are now making decisions based largely on the results of travel ball.

Roster decisions, position decisions, PT and strategy decisions, you name it.

It's supposed to be illegal but it's very common.

That’s ridiculous.

Jun 8, 2016
Mid 30’s there was travel ball when I played but not the ridiculous amount of them as there are now to where it’s hard to even field rec teams.

Ok, so there were still good players in rec when you played. As you stated you cannot teach athleticism but for all but the 6 sigma athletes they will need to play against good competition to get recruited and right now that happens in TB. Also FYI, I don't disagree with your overall sentiment as it is not fair that for some kids they won't be able to play against the best competition because of the cost of TB.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Ah BS, "it's only for the rich kids". I personally know many, many coaches that will fund players that can't afford to play otherwise, many times out of their own pocket. Stop your moaning about TB.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I am sitting here right now trying to figure out how we (upper-middle class family) will afford two out of town tournaments this summer, both of which require six night stays* and one of which requires airplane tickets across country for three of us. The price of travel ball is definitely an issue. And some teams do multiple summer trips requiring airfare; at least we can drive to one of ours.

*Stay to play tournaments, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45