drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm seeing pretty good whip. Better video would confirm, but these shots show the lower arm/ball in a lagged position and upper arm lock through release.
X1.jpg

This shot shows her elbow tucked nicely behind the hip. Again, a better video would be good to confirm...
x2.jpg

I think better drive sequencing and the cue to drag the top of the toes/laces forward will help bring the hip around a little more.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
xygent,

This thread is a month old now... but a good friend of mine made mention of it... and I thought I'd read through and offer up some insight... hope that's ok with you.

You came here asking for advice on building speed... and the biggest thing that I could suggest after watching some of the video you posted is to work on correcting her timing. That gym step she is taking is skewing it a little... but in the larger picture... she's off considerably.

Rather than agree or disagree with anything posted (I haven't read but a few comments), let me tell you what I really like about your DD in these videos:

1) She's attacking this sport. Slow and easy, relaxed, etc... are all cues that would (IMO) destroy what makes her special - her tenacity. There's no doubt that she's going all out.
2) She's using her upper body extremely well. This kid is strong... no doubt.

That said, there are a couple of things I'd like to share:

1. She's a strider, not a driver. I mean no offense by this... but she's missing out on a ton of opportunity to generate greater force against the ground. If you watch the side profile videos... take special note of how late her drive knee extends. Pitchers that generate a powerful drive will disconnect from the plate much, much sooner.
  2. Late drive knee extension creates poor circle timing. When our body is late to move through space forward... we get way too far into our circle... and the resistance that we create with the ground is mistimed... not allowing us to fully maximize the catapulting effect it can offer.
  3. Late push causes all sorts of lower-half disconnection issues. As our circle ascends, our torso is going to try to do whatever it can to make room for the arm to safely travel over top. Once we go over top of the circle... our lower-half needs to be aligned in a position to allow it to come INTO the pitch. Plate detachment creates this. Your DD's arm is opening the shoulder line... and the late push is causing the hips to stay open... to the point where her foot is pointing at 2nd base... and by the time she detaches from the ground she's adducting... with her hips in a less than optimal position. Having said this... your DD is so strong that her 'movers' are sorta overcoming this...
  4. She could benefit from a little more whip... she's losing her ball lag a hair early. Elbow is displaced a hair (pointing to first a bit prematurely)... but that's really splitting hairs... and tough to clearly make out in this video... as some of it looks pretty good (in the latest videos). If we focus on completing glenohumeral adduction with our elbow oriented down... this POWER allows the bottom of the circle to happen in ways we never knew existed. You don't train this movement slowly, either.

If I had the opportunity to work with you both (in person)... I'd really tackle her timing... and getting off of the plate sooner. There's plenty of recent and older stuff in the DM sticky about timing, forward momentum, and overlap. Delaying the onset of the backswing... or adding a negative motion to her wind-up/backswing (remember... positive and negative moves should be forward and backward... not up and down).

As far as your OP...

There is a TON of BAD information out there regarding training. As pitchers, we must realize that we are performing an athletic movement in all three planes of motion. Far too much of what we are asked to do while training are isolation exercises that take place in a single plane. This is a power sport... and we need to have this power at our fingertips for a total of one second (up to 150 times). Once we understand these basic concepts... we need to know what it is in our body that allows to perform this motion with more energy.

• Timing of movement is critical (see above).
  • Stability of surrounding mass is critical... without this, our muscle alignment is such that we can't maximize a contraction.
  • Stability is a large part of posture... and not just about what we see... the underlying small muscle stabilizers must be in good shape, too.
  • Our work must be 110% if what we are capable of. Our body will adapt... by either working harder... or just getting used to our sub-optimal output.
  • Pitching is multiplanar. If we do not build performance in multiple planes... we do not build performance in multi-planar activities (i.e. like pitching). ;)

When we start looking into training programs... we must understand that certain exercises won't give us what we are hoping for until our body is ready.
ANY trainer that does not emphasize warm-up exercises for a pitcher in all three planes ought to work with someone else.
Plyo (like heavy jump routines) should be avoided until the body has adapted to a general core wellness routine.
Same goes for deadlifting, etc...

You want to hit the big 60? Your DD can easily do this.

Fix her timing, give her drills with context (like the most recent posted in the DM).
Buy a redcord. Do what I posted in the DM sticky for her first routine. This alone will get her there.
Do an intensive and explosive plyo routine (ballistic motions). Training the Stretch Shortening cycle will help maintain and exceed.

For throwing... finish 2 of your sessions a week with all-out craziness throws (10-15 max).

Go to Indiana in March. I'll walk you through all of this in person... Good luck to you and your DD! ~JS

Thank you Java, we're on the end of a 3 week long break for her(she did absolutely nothing but be a teenager) and literally 2.5yrs without any substantial time off, her first practice back is tomorrow unfortunately I will be out of town for work but its back to work time for us to get ready for the season, you guys all give great advice. I don't know if we will make it to Indiana in March but thank you for the invite :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA