drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
One last thing... Relax the follow through--that HE finish is kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard! Might help her squeak out a tidbit more speed as well.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Nice work!

First, go out to a farm store and buy a piece or two of 3/8 inch rubber and some no-residue duct tape. Should help the gym step.

Love her whip and as FrozenRope talked about in his "Late Release" thread, your daughter demonstrates good lock, or pause of the upper arm.

I'd spend a little time working on slowing down her routine. Part of this can be helpful in creating better sequence:
-Pause the hands at the chest or belly while the back heel is up. (Get rid of the bow.)
-Drop the heel and transfer weight into the back foot while pumping the hands forward (initiates the forward lean.) At the same time, unweight the front foot with a drag or by raising the drive knee and heel which helps get the lean going. Hands separate and go back while the body falls forward.
-When you feel the hands get really loaded and you're just about to fall on your face, jam the drive foot down and back into the front edge of the rubber and drive out hard with the hands.

I'd bet my candied ginger that she'll hit 60 just cleaning up her sequence.

The last thing I'd suggest is trying to drag foot with the laces facing or pulling towards the target.

Hope that helps,
Ken

I'll offer you this suggestion xy.... based on my own daughter's experience..... what Ken is suggesting as the "Laces to catcher in the drag foot" is good advice, and ideal.... BUT it is going to be a VERY DIFFICULT concept for your DD to grasp if it's simply just a "cue" for her as you keep all else the same. First off, your DD has a far more "Open" release than most pitchers I see. Where most are closer to 45 degrees at release...your dd is very close to still 100% open. It's impossible for her to simply turn laces to catcher, unless she modifies her entire delivery. I don't say this as a reason not to strive for the optimal delivery...it's just a caution that you're looking at a major realignment to get her to go laces to catcher. And it's gong to feel VERY different to her if she actually does get to that point. I only mention this because this si a significant "reprogramming" that is going to require a lot of OTHER changes to take place in order for her to have ANY success with this at all. And I will tell you this......if she's going to a pitching coach that has taught her to "Stay Open", "Keep your shoulders on the power line".........that pitching coach will NOT LIKE what he/she sees if your DD gets to the point she can get laces to catcher....because to do that.... she CAN NOT... I repeat CAN NOT be fully OPEN at release.

just talked to my DD about her pc's views on her hips and he does teach her to keep her to stay more open. so now what? wish I had a tool to measure where her hips are really at from looking back at the video's I see her open but closing somewhat to which degree I cant tell and what would or what is the optimal motion of the hips? from 0 (completely open) to 45 degrees or completely shut?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like her release angle and wouldn't suggest changing it other than what an improved drive will do. If the cue of "laces forward" isn't helpful, you might try asking her to drag the tops of her toes.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
just talked to my DD about her pc's views on her hips and he does teach her to keep her to stay more open. so now what?

You have come to the crossroads that SO MANY of us have already come to. You have a couple of options...

1) Do as I did for 16+ months and forget you ever knew this forum existed and let your daughter work with her existing PC and hope it gets better.....
2) Take a leap of faith and entrust that the expert minds on this board will walk you through every step of the reprogramming your DD will require to get to where she needs to be, knowing damn well that the burden lies on your shoulders.
3) Look for other resources in your area(i.e. another PC in your area that may be closer to the truth of the optimal pitching mechanics).

Wish I had a better answer for you.

yes that we were thinking too ken. I was just reading the open or closed thread and am wondering why she might be alittle more, open she has been practicing the rise so much, literally like 75% of most practices but she is coming along nicely for a 13yr old I think and hope :). we will do alittle testing out of different things, like tonight we also did a little experimenting on not palming the ball so much and tried out different grips like with throwing the ball with 3 or 4 or 5 fingers etc just to see if speed was increased or decreased those kind of things she did throw a drop curve tonight that she just learned at the last practice which caught me by surprise cause it looked really good for just learning it. I guess we are in that experimenting stage on certain things but I just want to do the right things. and I appreciate all of everyones feedback its been super helpful. Im going to get some head on video too see what that looks like. cause everything ive been reading about open or closed its really non conclusive. unless im missing something.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
No disrespect to Ken and it's JMO but it looks like she is missing the whip by turning her hand over early. I really don't see her upper arm pausing at her side while her lower arm is lagging. She's close though... some pitches/angles look better than others. Stay inside the ball just a bit longer (really try to get the palm up at 9 and lead with the pinky to the start of the release zone). This should help her elbow from flying out and around leading to the finish she now has. Definitely don't try to force that finish. One thing I think would help with her lower half is to tell her to go over the top of her big toe when she pushes off her drive foot. She is turning her foot and pushing off the inside big toe and her leg continues to swing towards 1st base. She definitely has potential!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma