Drills for Collapsing Front Leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
693ply.gif

The above hitter on the left had 'bat drag'. The hitter was instructed on how to 'turn the barrel to the ball'. The swing on the right is the swing after practicing 'turn the barrel to the ball'.

Minor correction.

The hitter was NOT instructed on how to turn the barrel to the ball. Rather, the dad was told to keep things simple and not to give any details beyond simply turning the barrel to the ball. They were given a GIF as to 'when' that action should start in the swing. They were not told 'how' to go about performing the action.

The test ... from my point of view ... was if a simple cue, without detailed explanation, could remove a 'bat drag' issue .... and keep in mind that many have struggled for years in addressing 'bat drag', something IMO that shouldn't be the case.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
9uvpl5.gif

This was a FFS gif. I believed made to show the 'shoulders going down and in' from a older post.

The Turing test is a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behaviour equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human.
Dam, am I getting insulted here?
I hope you don't mind me 'sharing' your gifs.

The GIF was meant to highlight the attack angle of Cabrera's shoulder line as he arrives at his launch position.

I don't believe the old cues of "down and in, up and through" where intended to imply the powering of the swing with the shoulders ... at least that wasn't what I extracted from those cues.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The GIF was meant to highlight the attack angle of Cabrera's shoulder line as he arrives at his launch position.
Correct.
I don't believe the old cues of "down and in, up and through" where intended to imply the powering of the swing with the shoulders ...
I never said the 'up and through'. I never implied 'powering of the swing with the shoulders'.
9uvpl5.gif

I used the above gif to show simular positions as below.
Miggy_Side_ST_zps1fcc4ce5.gif

Front shoulder down and in.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Got it RDB ... I added the "up and through", because that was part of the cue as I recall it ... "down and in, up and through".

Understand the audience at the time. The lateral tilt action was being discussed .... and along with that was the "up and through" ... but that was difficult to achieve with a 'negative' attack angle.

I believe it was something Howe wrote about frequently. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
That's how I 'shrimp roll'.
Just because I spent 2 days if not more reading threads at BBD On BB/A$$ ect... to find out it's the same as 'Shoulder down and in' & FBC but, with different cues.

Cool. Always interesting to hear different people's take aways after reading various threads. I'd give you "similar" but wouldn't say they are the "same".

For the shoulder part... how you get the shoulders down and in matters IMO and there is a difference if you do it one way vs. another. It also impacts how you get the shoulders out of down and in later in the sequence. If you just tell someone "get that front shoulder down and in", you'll probably match video... YAY MMMMMBop Hansonberg Principle!... but are you really doing what they are doing?

For the FBC part, yes I agree that rear/bb (at least the way I use it) is similar and it encompasses FBC. rear/bb is means of coiling that primarily involves actions by three "parts":
1) Rear leg
2) Hips
3) BB (core)

FBC discussion is mostly 1) and 2) centric. The rear part of rear/bb is basically 1) and 2).

The "new secret sauce" of rear/bb was essentially the additional emphasis on core action (BB) during the coiling action (which was already assumed to be a FBC type of coiling... you know... experiment c) ) . Maybe not new for everybody, but for me it was. I had heard discussion about what to do with shoulders during coiling, or where to keep your chest pointed, etc.. all cues that may work. But there was a distinct difference for me when the focus was shifted to "Turn your rear and BB towards the pitcher". The stuff above the BB just worked better. Shoulder stayed in line more with a downward attack angle, bat tip was automatic, the transition from coiling to loading was less muscled, etc. The stuff below the BB worked better too... the resistances between inward pressured leg and rearward resisting hip were felt sooner in the range of motion. Basically the additional emphasis on the BB during coiling tuned everything up. So regardless of its newness or secretiveness or sauciness, I'm a fan.

Cabrera_3bview_big_zpsccdc36b7.gif

Cheers,
NoonTime

Oct 4, 2011
To the OP... if you put a long bungee cord (a few linked together) around her waist and anchor it straight out in front of her (towards the pitchers mound) with the a good amount of tension so it pulls her forward; when she swings she will have to stabilize her front leg quickly or she will fall to the ground. I have found this to be a pretty good solution to get someone to firm up the front leg. You want to land with a bent front leg and stabilize it quickly keeping the knee/hip at the same angle(s).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24