dragging entire side of foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
Just because an "elite pitcher" does it does not mean that it is an optimal part of an efficient motion. Looking at the mechanics required to get maximum push off the mound you can't get it when the driving foot does not drive but ends up facing second base. How much does it cost the pitcher, who knows. But is certainly detracts from getting the most out of the drive. In one of Hillhouse's Fastpitch TV appearances he shows a student what happens when their push foot is sideways and how you can't push properly.

The driving part is over by then. The foot turns over and drags when they are on the way down

Apr 25, 2010
The driving part is over by then. The foot turns over and drags when they are on the way down

Thus, slowing down the potential velocity.

Picture this....
You are shot out of a cannon. You are cruising through the air. All of a sudden, there is an anchor that falls out of your pocket that is tied to your waist. As soon as it starts dragging the ground, you slow down and stop in a hurry. If that anchor were to remain in your pocket, you would continue smoothly in the air until your trajectory meets it's logical end.

Feb 6, 2009
Thus, slowing down the potential velocity.

Picture this....
You are shot out of a cannon. You are cruising through the air. All of a sudden, there is an anchor that falls out of your pocket that is tied to your waist. As soon as it starts dragging the ground, you slow down and stop in a hurry. If that anchor were to remain in your pocket, you would continue smoothly in the air until your trajectory meets it's logical end.

Picture the fact that we're talking about girls pitching and something needs to stay on the ground anyway. And we're also talking about a situtaion, where the entire side of the foot is only tounching for about 1 frame in a 30fps shot so this is a very brief time.

For what it's worth, in your example, the anchor whould not hit the ground any faster than your stride foot were because garvity can't possibly accelerate the anchor any faster than it's already acclerating your body.

Feb 6, 2009
To be able to get your foot to drag like that you could not have pushed off properly. Try it once.

It has nothing to do with the push. Try this. Stand and face third base. Which direction are your toes facing. Third base. Now turn your ankle to the ground and you'll be dragging. This dragging of the foot takes place after they push and open up toward third. The intial push is forward and the toe is intially dragging. Watch some video of Finch. In reality, if you drag the TOP of your toe toward home, you could not have possible opened up entirely. If the top of your toe is touching, then your knee is facing home plate. Look at abbott in the last model video posted. She never opens entirely to first but she does a good job dragging her toe.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Guys, don't worry about it. Be happy. :) If Finch threw any dang faster than she did or does - she would be up to 75. Once you reach the high 60s, it is all gravy.

What that type of foot drag reminds me of is how I used to drag my foot in roller skating. Having done that as many times as a pitcher would, it doesn't have seemed to hurt me. And that would have been with a heavy skate on.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
World Class Athletes are often not the best examples to use when trying to teach a child a skill. When you have a person of enormous talent and physical gifts you find that they can get away with doing things that a normal person, even one who succeeds at a high level, cannot.

In fact sometimes you will find high level ball players doing things "wrong" in order to succeed. You would never teach a kid Gary Sheffield's bat pumping/hand bobbing approach to hitting. But he had to do it to hit in the majors. His hands were so fast he couldn't stay back on a curveball. But you would never instruct a kid to do that. You will probably never find a kid with hands so fast you need to teach them that.

Oct 22, 2009
My DD used to turn her foot over completely and drag on her pinky toe. This made it hell on her cleats, no pitchers toe out there could help her.
She never had any ankle problems either.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2011
Thanks for all the input everyone. I know this is a situation we have to remedy to some degree, because she's the one that noticed it when it rubbed a hole all the way thru the upper side of her shoe, sock and produced a blister!!!!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
That is exactly what dragging the shoe laces is doing to the top 13 YO, that I have. When I mentioned changing it, her mom said "Don't change her pitching." So, sometimes, it is out of the pitching coaches hands.

I never had to change my DD's cleats. But, then, she leaped. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd