dragging entire side of foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here's a couple more elite pitchers not turning in the ts knee or hips towards the catcher prior to release.
The pictures are very compelling proof that the achor theory does not neccessarily hold true it terms of hurting speed or results. Rather than saying they could be better if they didn't do it, one could equally say it may be a mechanical component to their success (That supposed 72mph pitch from Christa is wierd because it almost looks like a screw ball).

I've seen lots of high end college pitchers with this drag though just past the point where these pictures were taken the pitchers are usually up on the toe or even off of their back foot. My concern has always been the stress on the inside of the knee with that foot dragging on its side and facing backwards.

The knee is another issue. As I mentioned in a previous post the knee should have some forward orientation (which it does with Jenny and Sara) but many kids with this big drag over rotate their hips and actually turn the knee somewhat backwards.

Jul 26, 2010
Finch gets away with a lot, not just because she's tall, but because her arms go down to her ankles. If we could genetically engineer all our pitchers like that, they could get away with a lot, or also be capable of throwing 75mph.

-W

BLB

May 19, 2008
"That supposed 72mph pitch from Christa is wierd because it almost looks like a screw ball."

I was given this photo and info from the late Ron Bouldin. According to him at the time, she was topping out at 72mph on her rise ball and 68mph on her drop, which is rare as the drop ball is usually about 3mph faster than the rise on most pitchers. This top speed was not necessarily on this particular pitch although this could be her rise ball. By the way, notice the hand orientation at the 8 o'clock position.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Just because an "elite pitcher" does it does not mean that it is an optimal part of an efficient motion. Looking at the mechanics required to get maximum push off the mound you can't get it when the driving foot does not drive but ends up facing second base. How much does it cost the pitcher, who knows. But is certainly detracts from getting the most out of the drive. In one of Hillhouse's Fastpitch TV appearances he shows a student what happens when their push foot is sideways and how you can't push properly.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Looking at the mechanics required to get maximum push off the mound you can't get it when the driving foot does not drive but ends up facing second base. How much does it cost the pitcher, who knows. But is certainly detracts from getting the most out of the drive.
How do you believe the pushoff and drive contribute to greater velocity at the release point. What happens to transfer the forward push of the lower body to a faster release at the finger tips. Are you saying greater mph and distance pushed forward = greater ball speed and the side foot drag impedes this?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
lhowser, I can't believe that you question whether greater push off creates greater velocity. Maybe I am missing something in your argument. For the pitcher to have her foot twisted sideways or even worse toward second base she could not have pushed off with maximum velocity. The side foot drag does not impede the greater velocity but is a symptom of not getting the maximum push.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
lhowser, I can't believe that you question whether greater push off creates greater velocity.
I am wanting to understand why it increases velocity. In an overhand throw there is a push from the foot that pushes directly with down force onto the front side stride leg so I understand how this creates additional velocity. Not so with a windmill pitch. How does the push in this case create velocity?

Sep 11, 2009
I am wanting to understand why it increases velocity. In an overhand throw there is a push from the foot that pushes directly with down force onto the front side stride leg so I understand how this creates additional velocity. Not so with a windmill pitch. How does the push in this case create velocity?

Physics. I won't go into a lesson here but the answer is in Newton's 3 Laws of motion.

Jul 26, 2010
The windmill is designed to take forward momentum and translate all of the available energy into the release of the ball. Any energy going in a direction other then the catcher's glove is wasted (hips moving, glove flailing, body leaning, ect). The windmill is much more like a pole vaulter taking their forward momentum and using the anchor of the pole to redirect that energy towards the goal. For pitching, that goal is ball speed at release. If the back foot is braking at the same time the front foot is acting as a fulcrum then energy is wasted that could otherwise be translated into arm whip into ball speed at release.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd