Does your softball player, play any other sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was surprised how many girls here are committed to dancing, both mentioned in this and the DD picture thread. There are some great non softball action pictures in that thread.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD played 10 months of Softball this year and cramed in BB, track and ballet. The past two years she has played TB for a crappy team. This year she is on about the best team she could make and is not playing her fav SS position but rather C, 1st and CF. She is turning 12 this month and is just now 5'4". I don't think she will get much taller based on her mother and older sister's height so I'm thinking SB is a better choice but I have a feeling BB is going to be a larger part of her year based on what she is showing me this fall. As for me, BB is indoors but the bleachers aren't as comfortable as my padded chair.

Is there a BB forum if she goes that route?

Mar 14, 2009
My DD has played softball year round for 5 years (up here in NE that means indoor in winter). She has also played field hockey for HS and a top club team indoors in the winter. Had to drop alpine skiing in 8th grade in the face of not enough time for 3 sports (she was very good with several "ski" high schools looking for her to attend their schools, even offering gyms and field houses to pitch and coaches to catch her). Also in top 6% of her HS class. A lot of work, time and travel but she loves to compete and dad loves to watch her play. She has been to ASAUSA nationals and Eastern Nationals for 7 years, travel SB team has been #1 in NE in their class for 6 years, also been to the National Field Hockey Festival and National Indoor Field Hockey Tournament. Many conflicts most reslolved by sb being #1. Last year as a Junior in HS we finally did a few FH summer showcases and missed parts of 2 sb tournaments. It has all been great fun.
End result, just got an early decision admit to the engineering school at Tufts University and will be playing both softball and field hockey for a DIII power house in both (top 10 in both sports at DIII). She will be playing home games an hour away. A lot of work but definately worth it. Only question is, what will dad do next year, no motoring off to practices, games, team activities etc.

Feb 21, 2010
Lexington, KY
My DD plays softball, and softball only.

In the off-season, she works on hitting, catching and conditioning. She does have other interests, school choir, church activities, etc., but softball is her athletic choice.

We have other players who dance, play basketball, etc. The biggest problem with other sports is for the pitchers - most pitchers need to work on pitching during the off-season to continue to get better and that may be hard to do if they are playing other sports.

School ball starts in mid-February and summer starts as soon as school ball finishes. Summer ball ends in August, fall ball runs from September-October, then off-season conditioning starts. I think it would be very hard to be really good in more than one sport, particularly once in high school.

Feb 5, 2011
Vollyball - it's great to improve hand-eye coordination. And my daughter also loves golf and tennis.

Jul 28, 2008
I try and try to get my daughter to join something else, but she doesn't want to. She did tell me that next year she is going to try out for school volleyball. YAY!

Nov 1, 2009
My daughter plays basketball in the winter and is very good so the coaches try to make her play summer AAU. We have a simple rule, in the winter she is a basketball player and BB has priority and in the spring and summer Softball has priority so BB plays second fiddle. As far as a coach not wanting you daughter to play other sports I would look at the player and the coach and pick one I like the most and do what that person wants to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207