Does TB team matter for recruitement?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoachI

College Coach
Apr 19, 2012
Virginia Beach
GTRH8R,

This is a difficult question to simply answer one way. Saying that, IMO everyone on this board has provided some great insight that I am sure is helpful. However, on our staff’s behalf and fellow college coaches that I associate with (D1-JC, mainly in the Atlantic Region) IT DOES make a difference to an extent. I say it does simply because the better the organization the better the training or “constitutive” skill level, there are always exceptions. Knowing the program develops solid players we as coaches gravitate (as stated several times on this post elsewhere) to this known “good” organizations...we know we are going to get better trained athletes who can come in quickly and compete with the returners.

I also believe that Carly made a great point, in-that “The athlete needs to identify the schools she's interested in and make contacts there, then make sure she ends up on a team that gives her playing time and attends tournaments where she will be visible to her target coaches.” It is ultimately up to the athlete and their parents/guardians to contact the schools coach and show interest in the program...going to the schools camp is a great way regardless of the level (D1-JC). Lastly, as mentioned already, it helps if the program (coach) has a great rapport with the college coach. Obviously there are other factors but the aforementioned are important to us, hopefully this helps.

Apr 6, 2012
What is important is where ( which tournaments) you play and the level you play. We have so many kids around here who opt to play B and C level ball with the promise from the coach that they will get seen. Then, they end up playing locally and the college coaches in the area are not interested because the athlete has played at a lower level. We take our team where they will get seen, even as 14 U players. We focus on high quality tournaments/showcases with good competition. That means travel. But, our kids get decent exposure and they find out what it takes to get to the competitive level they need in order to play in college.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
The level of play matters to a certain extent: if you play B level in an area full with gold teams, coaches will assume that's a reflection of your skills. The tournaments that you go to matter somewhat: if you're never at the same tournament as the coaches you are interested in, then it's hard for them to see you play.

But most coaches don't go to a tournament to just shop around. "Exposure" in the sense of "there were so many college coaches walking around" is a bit of a myth. The majority of coaches who watch showcases come to watch specific players they already know about. So it is not so much that you travel to the right tournaments, it is that you managed to get the coach interested before you traveled to the tournament.

When it comes to getting recruited, the TB team to choose is the one with the best recruiting coach. A good recruiting coach does more than send an email to the coaches on your wish list. He has the contacts to know who needs you, and the skills to sell you. College coaches have dealt with him before, so they trust his judgement. Even if he hasn't dealt with your preferred college, he knows someone who has and uses that to get a foot in the door. How do you tell? Probably the best way is to look at their website and see where their alumni have gone to.

I'm not saying that that is all that matters, but it goes a long way to getting the initial contact going. It is also very important for the player herself to contact and follow up with coaches. If you already know a specific college you want, go to their camps. And keep your grades up.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
When it comes to getting recruited, the TB team to choose is the one with the best recruiting coach. A good recruiting coach does more than send an email to the coaches on your wish list. He has the contacts to know who needs you, and the skills to sell you. College coaches have dealt with him before, so they trust his judgement. Even if he hasn't dealt with your preferred college, he knows someone who has and uses that to get a foot in the door. How do you tell? Probably the best way is to look at their website and see where their alumni have gone to.

I'm not saying that that is all that matters, but it goes a long way to getting the initial contact going. It is also very important for the player herself to contact and follow up with coaches. If you already know a specific college you want, go to their camps. And keep your grades up.

And it doesn't have to be your TB coach - it could be your pitching coach or hitting coach with the contacts.

Although my DD is not of recruitment age, a large number of her pitching coach's students are and in the end they ALL play college softball at some level. The PC has a vast number of colleges contacts from all divisions and he works with his students to find the best academic/softball situation for each and every one of them. He regularly gets emails from colleges he has sent previous students to reading 'We are going to need a 2014 age pitcher - what do you have?' and I have been to see a few tryouts he has set up to link pitchers and colleges looking. He also networks extremely well.

GTRH8R,

This is a difficult question to simply answer one way. Saying that, IMO everyone on this board has provided some great insight that I am sure is helpful. However, on our staff’s behalf and fellow college coaches that I associate with (D1-JC, mainly in the Atlantic Region) IT DOES make a difference to an extent. I say it does simply because the better the organization the better the training or “constitutive” skill level, there are always exceptions. Knowing the program develops solid players we as coaches gravitate (as stated several times on this post elsewhere) to this known “good” organizations...we know we are going to get better trained athletes who can come in quickly and compete with the returners.

I also believe that Carly made a great point, in-that “The athlete needs to identify the schools she's interested in and make contacts there, then make sure she ends up on a team that gives her playing time and attends tournaments where she will be visible to her target coaches.” It is ultimately up to the athlete and their parents/guardians to contact the schools coach and show interest in the program...going to the schools camp is a great way regardless of the level (D1-JC). Lastly, as mentioned already, it helps if the program (coach) has a great rapport with the college coach. Obviously there are other factors but the aforementioned are important to us, hopefully this helps.

Very helpful.

Our org has put some girls into schools and the director has some great contacts at some of the university in our part of the country. In fact, the org has a D-1 clinic strictly for their players toward the end of the month. They do things to get visibility. DD is about to be a freshman when school starts so this is all great info. My concern with her team now is I don't think the coach has what it takes to bring out her skills, so it is a catch-22. Org gets you visibility, but what good is it if you are getting pushed and taught what you need to reach that potential?

She has one 4 day camp and 3 one day camps with schools this summer and has started looking a potential schools to contact. She recognizes it so she works out with a high A rated team on her off days from her TB team as well. The kid loves to play and learn and wants to get better so she at least has the option of playing in college if she decides its right for her and her education.

Mar 11, 2009
In the midwest (and from the D1 coaches I have talked to) coaches like to recruit from a local pool using tried resources (coaches and programs they have relationships with) and camps/clinics.

For example my DD wants to play for UoM. So she goes to all the camps, clinics, and utilizes the private lessons that coaching staff offers. Exposure is the key and she get it on her own by working hard.

As for the teams.....its about who you know first and then about how you market yourself.

Pick a local school and use their services as they are trying to develop talent as much as you are.

Not directing this at you or your DD, but this can work against a kid too, if you are going to all camps and lessons and not progressing at the level they think you should, then you are showing them you won't be a candidate for their team. A local 18u gold coach that has several connections with colleges said don't go put all your eggs in one basket unless you are very certain they aren't going to break.

Mar 11, 2009
And it doesn't have to be your TB coach - it could be your pitching coach or hitting coach with the contacts.

Although my DD is not of recruitment age, a large number of her pitching coach's students are and in the end they ALL play college softball at some level. The PC has a vast number of colleges contacts from all divisions and he works with his students to find the best academic/softball situation for each and every one of them. He regularly gets emails from colleges he has sent previous students to reading 'We are going to need a 2014 age pitcher - what do you have?' and I have been to see a few tryouts he has set up to link pitchers and colleges looking. He also networks extremely well.

That is an awesome what that PC is doing. I hope to get the same help from my DD coach in the near futute...:)

CoachI

College Coach
Apr 19, 2012
Virginia Beach
Wow GTRH8R, that is truly a catch-22! However, it sounds like your DD and you are doing all you can to reach her potential (IMO)…not to mention it’s not hard when recruiting to see determination, dedication and desire, all great qualities (athleticism too). IMO as long as you keep her education priority over playing softball all will work out. Probably the best advice my DD received when visiting was one simple question “if the softball program was removed after her freshmen year would she stay? If yes, then it’s the right place”.

Stay focused and good luck!
Coach I
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." Aristotle

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Being on a team that is ranked is huge. However, most of those teams are from big organizations. My daughter plays on a 18 gold team that has 13 of 15 committed players and this helps the 16u with their recruiting. Triple Crown Softball top 100 Rankings will give you a list of TB organizations/teams who have a track record of getting their players into colleges. Plus these teams get in the good tournaments, get the good fields and play the best competition.

Oct 10, 2011
So at what age is it a must to get your DD on a legitmate A level team. My DD (14) recently said she still has dreams of playing in college. At a recent HS volleyball game, a coach from one of the top ranked D3 Schools came up to us and said she heard we left our old team (she has had DD at clinics and said she is on the local girls to watch list). She said she was shocked but understood what was going on within the organization. She knew more than we did:)
She said that the team we moved to has a knowlegable coach, but not the talent, and we needed to go back next year. The team we went to always seem to be heading in the right direction..Rec champs, then C State Champs, then B State Runner up in a few short years. We'd have to travel farther next year if she doesn't want to go back to her old team which is hard with my schedule.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06