Does TB team matter for recruitement?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
There is a girl on my DDs TB team whose older sister is going to play for Memphis next season. She got noticed after hitting four HR's in a tournament.

I'd be curious how many around here get into schools ala the 2nd route you have mentioned.

All interesting stuff. Just trying to gather info to help DD make the best decision for her playing future. She might not decided she even wants to play in college because of her anticipated major (she's got time so she can change her mind), but she might as well be set up to have the opportunity.

Cierra, Lindsie, or Hannah? Bet your talking about Jaye playing for UOfM.

13 last time I counted from our county who have signed D2 and under this year, for the second route I mentioned. If you are in TN and need my 2 cents of input feel free to ask or PM me. Either way is fine by me.

Edit*****

Dang I'm slow today, now I see you're from TX, gotta be Lindsie. :p

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The philosophy of the head of the organization is important, so be sure to talk to him/her. My sister went through the recruitment process, and chose her gold team because the head of the organization said, "We will use your softball skills to get you into the best college possible." That's really what it's about. The athlete needs to identify the schools she's interested in and make contacts there, then make sure she ends up on a team that gives her playing time and attends tournaments where she will be visible to her target coaches. If that requirement is filled, it doesn't really matter if the program has every team from 8U up. In fact, in my experience, many of those types of programs make empty promises and are more concerned with making money for themselves than helping the players. On the flip side, a huge program may have enough money to bring in a college coach for a clinic or something, but I still think the visibility in game situations during the recruitment year is what's really important.

Excellent advice

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
The philosophy of the head of the organization is important, so be sure to talk to him/her. My sister went through the recruitment process, and chose her gold team because the head of the organization said, "We will use your softball skills to get you into the best college possible." That's really what it's about. The athlete needs to identify the schools she's interested in and make contacts there, then make sure she ends up on a team that gives her playing time and attends tournaments where she will be visible to her target coaches. If that requirement is filled, it doesn't really matter if the program has every team from 8U up. In fact, in my experience, many of those types of programs make empty promises and are more concerned with making money for themselves than helping the players. On the flip side, a huge program may have enough money to bring in a college coach for a clinic or something, but I still think the visibility in game situations during the recruitment year is what's really important.

I have to quote this and echo what Greenmonster said, this is excellent advice. Too many coaches I've spoken with make it about building a winning team, which really isn't a bad thing but the relationship is a two way street. The coach and the athlete need to work together in having a successful team and moving the athlete to the next level by showing her skills.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
"Originally Posted by Carly
The philosophy of the head of the organization is important, so be sure to talk to him/her. My sister went through the recruitment process, and chose her gold team because the head of the organization said, "We will use your softball skills to get you into the best college possible." That's really what it's about. The athlete needs to identify the schools she's interested in and make contacts there, then make sure she ends up on a team that gives her playing time and attends tournaments where she will be visible to her target coaches. If that requirement is filled, it doesn't really matter if the program has every team from 8U up. In fact, in my experience, many of those types of programs make empty promises and are more concerned with making money for themselves than helping the players. On the flip side, a huge program may have enough money to bring in a college coach for a clinic or something, but I still think the visibility in game situations during the recruitment year is what's really important."

Excellent advice

I agree with Carly and Greenmonsters

Cierra, Lindsie, or Hannah? Bet your talking about Jaye playing for UOfM.

13 last time I counted from our county who have signed D2 and under this year, for the second route I mentioned. If you are in TN and need my 2 cents of input feel free to ask or PM me. Either way is fine by me.

Edit*****

Dang I'm slow today, now I see you're from TX, gotta be Lindsie. :p

You are correct sir.

That is a talented family. The eldest daughter plays college ball and the youngest is starting to come into her own.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I want to add that, besides the obvious, the reason it's so important to have the philosophy I spoke about is your kid has to be happy at her school above all else. My sister was one of the top pitching recruits in 07 and ended up playing a couple of fall games her freshman year, needing surgery, and not wanting to come back from it. She didn't play anymore after that. But, her coach fulfilled his promise and got her into a school she probably wouldn't have been able to get into with her grades alone, so from that standpoint it was still a success.

Side note: If you decide to switch teams, beware of programs with like 3 18u teams. I'm sure this doesn't apply to all of them, but a number of girls I've coached at the high school level left their TB teams where they were starters to go to programs that said "See, our 18u gold team is going to all these great tournaments!" But then once they got there, they were stuck on either the regular 18u team, or the "elite" or whatever BS name they make up for the middle one, and never saw a day of play on the gold team despite how it was sold to them. If a program has more than one 18u, make sure you're clear in talking to them that it's the gold you're interested in.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You are correct sir.

That is a talented family. The eldest daughter plays college ball and the youngest is starting to come into her own.

Well we welcome her to Memphis! Moving to the Big East division next year which should help in recruiting in the future. I don't know if you have seem UofM new 1.7 million dollar softball complex, but it's very nice. I'll be watching her next year.

Well we welcome her to Memphis! Moving to the Big East division next year which should help in recruiting in the future. I don't know if you have seem UofM new 1.7 million dollar softball complex, but it's very nice. I'll be watching her next year.

I haven't see it, but her dad was telling me about it. Her parents are really nice people. Her dad helps out with our TB team and is just a great positive person. Her older sister's season is over and she has been helping out too, but that kid could have a career in coaching. She explains things so well to the girls - they all understand her. I wish she could take a much more active role coaching our team.

I won't be able to watch her, but I am sure I will get the play by play from her parents. She's entertaining to watch and takes it out of the yard frequently.

Side note: If you decide to switch teams, beware of programs with like 3 18u teams. I'm sure this doesn't apply to all of them, but a number of girls I've coached at the high school level left their TB teams where they were starters to go to programs that said "See, our 18u gold team is going to all these great tournaments!" But then once they got there, they were stuck on either the regular 18u team, or the "elite" or whatever BS name they make up for the middle one, and never saw a day of play on the gold team despite how it was sold to them. If a program has more than one 18u, make sure you're clear in talking to them that it's the gold you're interested in.

It funny you say that because I was having the exact same conversation with DDs batting coach last night. There is a big and successful organization locally and they team they are taking to nationals has 28 players. One makes an error another gets put in. So, it is one of those situations where the player "gets to be on a team that will play in every major tournament for exposure." Problem is it doesn't matter if you are riding the pine. The org we are in has two 18U's, but the better one is labled gold. The other is just a straight up 18U team. DD is 14 now so we still have some time to worry about that stuff, but I'd like to be somewhat knowledgable about it before we get into it all.

On a side note, I just dropped a decent amount of cash to send her to a camp at a D1 school in the area. I figure she might as well get some good instruction and maybe catch somebody's eye over the four days she is there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06