Does TB team matter for recruitement?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I've been wondering about this one since not every girl that plays gets to be a national powerhouse team because of a variety or reasons. I would love to hear some opinions, especially from ex-players and parents of ex-players.

There seems to a trend in the area that I live in for teams to be part of a big organization. So you have a conglomeration of teams from 8U - 18 Gold (in each age group) that fly under the same team umbrella so to speak. I wonder how big of an advantage this is over a good independent team. One advantage of the big org is they are able to bring together a bunch of different teams for big workouts to learn from other people across the scope of teams and they seem to be able to bring in college coaches for clinics for the org only. Good recognition for players. It appears that college coaches go to the manager of the org to get opinions on players and who they might want to look at.

On the other hand, does playing on a not so sucessful org team do better than a good independent?

I assume that having a team that plays showcase events and attending camps helps.

Thoughts?

Apr 6, 2012
Here is what I think really matters. First, she needs to play at the "A" or Gold level if possible. At younger ages, the "B" level may be okay to start with, but then you really need to get her playing A level ball or above. There are some teams/organizations whose name will get a college coach's attention, but generally if your daughter does her homework, contacts coaches via e-mail when she is ready to start the recruiting process, and plays in good tournaments and showcases, she will get seen. ( Of course, some tournaments and showcases only accept very good teams.) It's good that college coaches know the manager of the team and talk to him/her because that direct line will help. Of course success will attract them as well. You can't get seen at Nationals unless you are there.

That being said, all of this just gets the coach to look at the player. Beyond that, she needs to perform well academically, athletically, and display strong character at games.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Every coach I've talked to or heard talk about recruiting has said being on a team that will get your DD seen is important. Coaches have limited time and resources so they resort to shortcuts, one being looking at the organizations that they have had success recruiting from in the past.

May 15, 2012
California
The teams and tourneys they play in do play a part in getting noticed but your DD has to stand out somehow. I agree with the post of contacting coaches before the tourneys letting them know you will be there and are untreated and show them what they will be seeing by sending them a skills video or a link to the video. Both the parent and DD have to make that extra effort to stand out.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
The philosophy of the head of the organization is important, so be sure to talk to him/her. My sister went through the recruitment process, and chose her gold team because the head of the organization said, "We will use your softball skills to get you into the best college possible." That's really what it's about. The athlete needs to identify the schools she's interested in and make contacts there, then make sure she ends up on a team that gives her playing time and attends tournaments where she will be visible to her target coaches. If that requirement is filled, it doesn't really matter if the program has every team from 8U up. In fact, in my experience, many of those types of programs make empty promises and are more concerned with making money for themselves than helping the players. On the flip side, a huge program may have enough money to bring in a college coach for a clinic or something, but I still think the visibility in game situations during the recruitment year is what's really important.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
TN is different, we recruit a lot from inside the state.

We have TB feeder programs, meaning the TB coach has direct connections to a certain college.

Example: Let's say you want to attend UT Knox, it's a good idea to play for team X.

Wonna go to Union, you play for team Y.

Wonna play for University of Memphis, you play for team Z.

Playing for these teams does not guaranty a scholarship, nor does it mean without playing for them you won't get one either. It's just a tool.

Then we have quite a few that just play with local TB teams who have no problem getting scholarships to CC and NAIA schools. Some even get these just from HS ball.

The philosophy of the head of the organization is important, so be sure to talk to him/her. My sister went through the recruitment process, and chose her gold team because the head of the organization said, "We will use your softball skills to get you into the best college possible." That's really what it's about. The athlete needs to identify the schools she's interested in and make contacts there, then make sure she ends up on a team that gives her playing time and attends tournaments where she will be visible to her target coaches. If that requirement is filled, it doesn't really matter if the program has every team from 8U up. In fact, in my experience, many of those types of programs make empty promises and are more concerned with making money for themselves than helping the players. On the flip side, a huge program may have enough money to bring in a college coach for a clinic or something, but I still think the visibility in game situations during the recruitment year is what's really important.

I kind of feel like we are in the midst of the empty promise thing right now. My DD may shop for a new team and she wants to make sure it is the right one this time.

We have a coach from a ranked D1 team coming at the end of the month to do a clinic for the organization, which is a good thing. However, I kind of believe it doesn't matter if you are not getting equipped with the skills you need to succeed in front of the college staff.

Good info...

Wonna play for University of Memphis, you play for team Z.

Then we have quite a few that just play with local TB teams who have no problem getting scholarships to CC and NAIA schools. Some even get these just from HS ball.

There is a girl on my DDs TB team whose older sister is going to play for Memphis next season. She got noticed after hitting four HR's in a tournament.

I'd be curious how many around here get into schools ala the 2nd route you have mentioned.

All interesting stuff. Just trying to gather info to help DD make the best decision for her playing future. She might not decided she even wants to play in college because of her anticipated major (she's got time so she can change her mind), but she might as well be set up to have the opportunity.

Apr 9, 2012
In the midwest (and from the D1 coaches I have talked to) coaches like to recruit from a local pool using tried resources (coaches and programs they have relationships with) and camps/clinics.

For example my DD wants to play for UoM. So she goes to all the camps, clinics, and utilizes the private lessons that coaching staff offers. Exposure is the key and she get it on her own by working hard.

As for the teams.....its about who you know first and then about how you market yourself.

Pick a local school and use their services as they are trying to develop talent as much as you are.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06